2013 Chevrolet Malibu Recalled for Transmission Gear Selection Issue | Edmunds

2013 Chevrolet Malibu Recalled for Transmission Gear Selection Issue


WASHINGTONGeneral Motors is recalling 3,690 2013 Chevrolet Malibu sedans because the console transmission gear selection indicator may not illuminate the shift position selected by the driver, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

"A driver could inadvertently select a transmission position other than the position the driver intended, increasing the risk of a crash," said NHTSA in its recall summary.

The affected Malibus were built from April 10, 2012 to August 2, 2012.

GM spokesman Alan Adler told Edmunds there are no injuries, crashes or fatalities linked to the recall.

GM said in a statement that the problem occurs in "rare instances" and the "situation corrects itself on the next key cycle.

GM discovered the noncompliance condition in June 2012. In August 2012, GM filed a petition with NHTSA for an inconsequential noncompliance ruling, which means that GM did not believe that the condition created a safety risk that justified conducting a safety recall, the automaker said.

On March 2, 2015, NHTSA granted GM's petition in part by ruling that the condition is inconsequential to motor vehicle safety on the 85 percent of affected vehicles that have a second transmission position display on the instrument panel. But the agency denied GM's petition on the remaining 15 percent of the population that do not have a second transmission position display on the instrument panel.

Chevrolet dealers will replace the transmission gear selection control module. The recall began on April 20. Owners can contact Chevrolet customer service at 1-800-222-1020.

Edmunds says: This recall has started. It's time to make an appointment with your dealer for a service appointment if you own one of these cars.

Leave a Comment
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT