Used 2005 Cadillac SRX Consumer Reviews - 168 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Cadillac SRX Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific SRX model:

Please Don't Waste Your Time!!!
By Disgruntled/Pissed Off Black Guy

2005 Cadillac SRX Rwd 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

This car is a lemon to the nth degree!!! We bought this with 70,000 miles on it and it now has 118,000 miles on it and we have put over $9k in maintenance costs in this piece of junk (not including regular maintenance i.e oil changes, tune ups, etc.). Our car repair shop absolutely love us. We give them so much business!!! The SUV gives you the feel of a luxury vehicle with the rear parking assist, leather seats, center console display, OnStar, Sirius/XM capability, power seats, etc. but don't let that fool you. This car is a lemon and any dealership who sells these cars should be fined!!! My wife and I are hard working people just like the next people and we don't have the extra money to keep putting money into this piece of SH!+!!! That $9k could be going to a lot of other things like paying down other debt, putting more money into our children's college fund, funding our emergency fund, getting a better quality vehicle, etc. I wish I would have read more owner reviews before buying this car. One of the worst decisions of my life!!! PLEASE STAY AWAY AND IF A DEALERSHIP SELLS THIS VEHICLE STAY AWAY FROM THEM ALSO!!!

Beware the early LY7 Timing Chain Failure!
By ep

2005 Cadillac SRX Rwd 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

This car is a wonderful, comfortable, grocery getter -- a tall wagon on a front engine, rear drive platform with a 4-valve variable timing hemi. It is docile and precise but can roar when you put your foot down. My opinion of it would be far, far more favorable if we hadn't seen the early timing chain failure at a bit over 50,000 miles. The car was maintained by the Cadillac dealer for the first 30,000 miles. Thereafter I did the maintenance. I changed the oil every 3300 miles regardless of what the oil monitor said. I never even saw a Change Oil message. One evening we were driving it home up a gentle hill at about 35 mph. There was a horrible noise, grinding, clicking, and it died. We were barely able to pull into an empty parking lot. The left upper timing chain had slipped. The engine had gouged cylinders, two bent rods, a holed piston, and two valves in the sump. Other valve bits and a lot of oil damaged both cats. The only thing salvageable was one head. The dealer wanted $11,000 to repair it because we were out of the LY7 timing chain secret warranty extension program deadlines. I found a new/rebuilt engine for $3500 delivered and did the work myself -- making certain that the timing chain system parts were marked Cloyes True Roller USA -- discovering that it's impossible to change the engine in this car without taking it out/rebuilding it in pieces OR dropping the front subframe in unit. We also experienced the dreaded Cadillac dead car/won't release the key electrical issue which eventually required the replacement of both engine and transmission control units. And at this late date I've run into a number of the 2-hour minor signal bulb replacement issues. This was our last GM product.

First Cadillac Ever!
By Deborah

2005 Cadillac SRX Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

Nice car willing to put in the effort to maintain it and keep it. Still loving this car.

Do not buy
By Joshdog

2005 Cadillac SRX Rwd 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

The repairs on this car are phenomenal. I have never spent so much money in a short amount of time. I have owned cars for 40 plus years.

IT IS A CADILLAC !!!
By Raymond Fowler

2005 Cadillac SRX Rwd 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

New tires, shocks, front rear differential mount . All from Cadillac - about $2,500 - rear shocks are expensive $444 each.