2008 Cadillac DTS Consumer Review: Glad I didn't sell my Merc Gra

2008 Cadillac DTS - Consumer Review

Luxury II Sedan (4.6L V8 4-speed Automatic)

Glad I didn't sell my Merc Grand Marquis.
By rdownie on

2008 Cadillac DTS Luxury II 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Two years ago, I purchased a 2008 Cadillac DTS with 62,000 miles. It was to replace my 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis with 156,000 miles---now 163,000.
The Cad looks and runs like a brand new car, but the ride is not near as nice as my aging Grand Marquis. Lots of road noise on city streets.

Plus, too many buttons to push---very distracting. I would have bought another Mercury, but Ford wrongly decided to not manufacture them any more. The Mercury does not have as many distracting buttons to push and the ride, both city and highway, are much, much better.

Headroom in the Cadillac for the driver's side is poor. I am 5'11" and 230 lbs. I have to move the seat to the maximum down and rear positions, plus relocate the steering wheel to the maximum up position, in order to get in without bumping my head on the door frame. In my 60 years of driving, I have owned many luxury cars. This Cad is the worst of them all. By the way, My wife, much smaller, loves the car, or I would get rid of it immediately.

Another distraction is the speedometer display. When the morning sun is up, you cannot read the dash lights. And, turning the headlights on does to the maximum does not help any. No more Cadillacs for me. This is not a car for the un-rich owner. Driving into the Cadillac Dealer costs an arm and a leg for even the smallest services.

• Engine
  • Transmission

• Getting in out
  • Noise and vibration
  • Ride comfort
  • Outward visibility
  • Maintenance cost

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review