Used 1998 Cadillac DeVille Sedan Consumer Reviews - 44 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 Cadillac DeVille Sedan

View reviews for a specific DeVille model:

Beware the North*Star
By MrCadillacness

1998 Cadillac DeVille Sedan 4dr Sedan

There's nothing quite like a drive in a Cadillac. The exterior is unique and the interior is spacious. It certainly turns heads especially being 25 and owning one for pleasure driving. 4.6L engine with 300 horses that begs to be unleashed out on the open road.

Power heated leather seats, Bose sound system, just the prestige of ownership

4.6L North*Star Aluminum block engine (Engine cast mold from GM were produced with cracks) that is prone to head gasket repair (most shops will not repair, labor intensive) Brake lines rust rather quickly. Look for the 4.9L engine model that was phased out in 97- 98 instead or buy pre-owned certified

Always wanted one
By Bill t

1998 Cadillac DeVille Sedan Concours 4dr Sedan

Rides like a big car, it is a big car. Have a small car for work, but wanted a cadliac for other times. This year and model has everything you can think a car should have. People look at it when it goes by, a car should get noticed. Repairs are high and there are things I have to fix. But for a car 11 years old, looks good and rides like only a big car can. Purchased an American car even if GM is having problems. Parts and people who can work on it are still working.

As we said years ago, it's cool. Heated seats, lots of toys, great ride, room to spread out for everyone. It comes with everything a car used to have.

Northstar engine does leak oil. Gas is the most expensive gas at the pump. Shock replacement not cheap, but can be done.

bye bye northstar, I'll miss you
By Steve

1998 Cadillac DeVille Sedan D'elegance 4dr Sedan

Bought with 106,000 miles on it from a dealer. Well optioned with stabilitrac and all the goodies that made it nice to drive. I kept it well maintained. After 5 years of service, engine developed head gasket problems that caused overheating and engine shutdowns. I found that even though the car was still like new the repair would cost more than the car was worth. Loved the car and hated to see it go. Looked at getting a newer one but found that many 4.6L V8 engines have the same problem mine had. My advice is buy young and sell before 150,000 miles to avoid the problem. Would buy another in a heartbeat if no 4.6 liter engine in it. Too pretty to trash so donated to a charity.

Stabilitrac is great in winter driving with traction control. Best A/C system in the business. Easiest to drive and park car I've ever had. Bought new Saturn Aura that's much smaller but doesn't get much better gas mileage even though it's 10 years newer and has a smaller engine. Go figure.

Kind of late for this, but fix overall and engine reliability issues and I would consider getting another Cadillac. Until then I will be looking elsewhere.

Owner
By David

1998 Cadillac DeVille Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 19000 miles on the car. I've owned this car since 1999, and its never given me any problems. I did replace the A/C a few years back. Nothing more serious than that. The gas mileage is great, and I would not hesitate driving this car coast to coast today. My car now has 119000 miles on it.

Love the Luxury and outstanding Economy
By Jackie O'Brien

1998 Cadillac DeVille Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this car after wrecking my Infinity after an ice storm and have not regreted it one bit. The ride is very smooth; seats are comfortable, everything is at finger tips for easy adjustment. This car gets fantastic fuel usage: 18-21 mpg in town and 26- 28 mpg on the highway driving the speed limit. During the time I have owned the car, I have spent less than $3500 for maintenance plus the regular 3000 mile check up & oil change, etc., and new tires. The body is still beautiful and shinny.

I feel so much safer with the auto locks when the car is in gear and the auto headlights are a plus. I think everyone should own at least one Cadillac in their lifetime. I am 71 years old and regret I waited so long to buy one.

Darken the top 3 inches of the windshield.