2013 Buick Verano Consumer Review: Chugs along, guzzles gas; a me

2013 Buick Verano - Consumer Review

Base Sedan (2.4L 4-cyl. FFV 6-speed Automatic)

Chugs along, guzzles gas; a mediocrity
By bigbaddave on

2013 Buick Verano 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We have now been driving the Verano for three years and my first impressions turned out to be lasting. This is a heavy vehicle with a so-so engine that drinks gas, especially in winter. It still sounds like a lawnmower, and the view out of the back is poor. It's a two-wheel drive car which guarantees poor performance in winter, which is a shame, because we get five months of snow a year. One January day last year three separate sets of neighbors had to push the car down our street after my wife got stuck; an hour later, I navigated the same stretch without problems in my four-wheel drive BMW 328. On the positive side, the cabin heats up very quickly in the cold. My daughter and wife both love the Verano on the grounds that its bulk means they feel safe.

• Climate control
  • Warranty

• Outward visibility
  • Rain snow traction
  • Usb ports
  • Bluetooth
  • Navigation
  • Fuel economy

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review
By jhunkins
on 09/12/14 03:45 AM (PDT)

The difference between the base engine and the turbo is quite significant. I test drove the base and then the turbo and it was like night and day. It just gets up and goes. Absolutely no hesitation pulling into traffic with the turbo. Can't say the same for the 2.4.

By lrinnc
on 03/13/14 11:21 AM (PDT)

Yes the Verano is a bit heavy, but they added a lot of sound insulation (couple of hundred pounds I think?) that make a huge difference in quietness. Also the 2.4L motor which is larger than the powerplants in the Chevy Cruze which it is based on. I agree the base motor is no standout in power or MPG, but the Verano overall is much nicer than the Cruze. So on that standard, I am pleased with mine. Interesting that the turbo version didn't impress you. Makes me even more glad I stuck with the base version - thanks!