Used 2002 Buick Rendezvous SUV Consumer Reviews - 231 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Buick Rendezvous SUV

View reviews for a specific Rendezvous model:

small breaks big bucks
By cat

2002 Buick Rendezvous SUV CX AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Just after the extended warranty was up the power window quit working. A small plastic piece broke costing $190. Now the other front window has made a loud pop and I am afraid to use it for fear it will not roll up soon. The ac condensor has a pinhole rubbed in it by the frame the quote is $800. If summer would have come a month sooner the vehicle would have still been under warranty. The mechanic that quoted the ac problem said that this is a common problem that he sees a lot.

I love the AWD. This is by far the best vehicle I have ever driven in snow and ice. Four months after purchase we drove home in a blizzard. We saw many vehicles in the ditch. Not once did I feel us slide or thought we were going to end up there.

Obviously something needs done about the ac condensor being close enough to the frame to rub a hole in it. Also I found that the battery post are difficult to reach for testing/maintenance/jumpstarting.

No major problems until warranty expired
By Marisa

2002 Buick Rendezvous SUV CX Fwd 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Our family purchased this vehicle with 15,000 miles left on the warranty. Within a few thousand miles after warranty expiration, right and left wheel bearings and air condintioning needed repair. Approximately every 3 months since then (over the past 4 years), a major malfunction has occurred, which usually consists of the car not starting for a variety of reasons, including major fuel line corrosion. I don't understand how this vehicle has been reviewed so highly. Most people I've talked to with Rendezvous have had similar experiences. Our mechanic feels so bad for us that he frequently undercharges for his services.

Back-up warning signals.

Reliability across the board.

Known Problems Cost Money
By ldig

2002 Buick Rendezvous SUV CX AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I've owned my 2002 Rendezvous since the summer of 2001. I absolutely loved my Rendezvous up until last year. Once I reached about 50K, it's been problem after problem. The A/C condenser went, engine antifreeze gasket leaks, and we had to replace the transmission and the car's computer. In addition, there were other costly repairs, like excessive tire wearing (never in an accident). We've had to get two wheel alignments and four new tires twice in the past 18 months. Also had the AWD light come on, and of course that was broken. Another major hassle is a blockage in the igintion. Insert the key, and it hits an obstruction which is a metal piece which is suppose to retract, but doesn't.

Super comfortable seating and a nice ride. Heated leather seats, back-up park assist, overall styling of exterior and interior.

Lift gate super heavy to raise, at least mine is. Better mechanics! Too many costly problems! Buick should have done recalls for many known problems.

Buy That Warranty!
By drewsmyboy

2002 Buick Rendezvous SUV CX AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This seemed to be a great vehicle and I thought it was pretty well built. We had the standard air conditioner cracks (warranty) and the driver's lumbar knob has broken off three times, but it wasn't until after the warranty ran out that we got to experience the head and intake gaskets (as everyone else seems to have also experienced). The extended warranty (thank God I bought it) sent an inspector to the dealership to ensure there was no fraud with all the problems I was charging to them. The dealership even started paying my extended warranty deductible! I will never buy a GM automobile again. This is a good vehicle for about 2 years and then you are in trouble.

Memory seats, mirrors, and radio. I like everything being set up for me when I get in the car after using my own keyless entry remote. Includes many luxury features that are hard to find without paying a lot more. Third seat folds down flat which is good because it is very rarely used.

Quality and reliability. This was my test of buying a GM product and the test failed. I will never buy another GM automobile because of the lack of quality and reliability. Especially after reading other posts and realizing I am having the same problems as everyone else.

Never Again
By JC

2002 Buick Rendezvous SUV CX AWD 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

The car was great until 45K. The spare tire housing became corroded so the tire could not be removed, we had to replace. The intake value went out at only 50K. After that major work, the head gasket went out at 55K. In between there were problems with the electrical system, the door panel controls falling into the door, and the driver's side window keeps slipping.

It is comfortable and drives very nice for a SUV -- when it runs!

The quality is horrible. I have never had a car with so many major problems this early. It's in the shop multiple times per year.