Used 2008 Buick Lucerne Consumer Reviews - 57 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Buick Lucerne

View reviews for a specific Lucerne model:

Nice car but annoying rattle in front
By Gary R.

2008 Buick Lucerne CX 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought as a replacement as I wrecked my 07' saturn vue. 08' Lucerne CX was a dealer demo with approx. 2,400 miles on it. Started to hear a rattle/buzzing noise within the first month coming from the front end area. Brake lights stayed on until I went to the dealer for the repair. Dealer replaced a fuel line problem as there was a GM bulletin on that. To date, I have had the car in 5 times for the rattle and still rattles/buzzes. I'm "disenchanted" with this Buick. I'm going to try the rattle repair one more time.....then I'll contact GM personally. (They probably won't care/ or respond) Dealer has been sympathetic to my issue anyway. I'm going to buy Honda next time.

Ride is fantastic/smooth. V-6 has enough get-go for me. Good in the snow last winter.

Build a car that does not rattle.

I expected more
By disappointed

2008 Buick Lucerne CXL 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Trading in my 2000 Lesabre with 142000 miles I expected a big improvement> Not so! Rattle in front end, trunk doesn't open but half way, wind noise is terrible, engine has no power> Quiet tune? they must have forgotten to do this one, 67 MPH very annoying drive train noise. sun visors not even close to what was on the 2000. Mileage is not as good either. can't reach door handles to close doors. Plastic push pins used in many places all loose.

heated steering wheel

Great car with extraordinary comfort
By Ken

2008 Buick Lucerne CX 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I love this car. It is just a few weeks old, but has everything I wanted in a new car. The ride is unmatched. I tested a Ford Fusion because they said it drove as nice as a Buick. They were wrong. The Lucerne glides across rough road. It has plenty of pickup. The controls are well positioned for easy access. Plenty of leg room for stretching out. The 2008 version does not have bluetooth phone, and that I miss. I understand that 2009 does have that. The fan has plenty of power to cool or heat. I do wish that it had more power connections for things like iPods. The dash is a little hard to see in the daylight. Auto headlights is great. On Star is just amazing. Just a great car.

Comfortable ride, On Star, Auto headlights on, Aux cable connect, leg room, large trunk.

6 speed automatic, more power sources, voice controlled radio, CD and Aux devices, bluetooth, auto balance of stereo speakers, iPhone remote start of vehicle and setting of heating/cooling temp, On star to display the destination arrival time. I miss that from my Garmin GPS.

final Buick
By Dave

2008 Buick Lucerne CXL Special Edition 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I have owned many Buicks but this will be the last. I`ve had nothing but trouble. Poor mileage 15-23, acclerator problems,power seat, steering noise, ext temp., worst of all it has left me setting 3 times with a no start, and had to be hauled in on a flatbed. This all has happened in only 4500 miles. I have lost all confidence in GM. I wish I had never traded. Had an 05 LaSabre that was a very good car. Got 23-30 for mileage with no problems, I wish I could say the same for the LuCerne.

body style

better mileage, poor acclerator, dash guages hard to see, tiny white picture symbols on steering wheel and doors to hard to see, shift lever in front of radio, no courtesy lite on the floor of passenger side, the whole car needs to be more reliable

'08 Super Value with Lousy Fuel Economy
By kgm

2008 Buick Lucerne Super 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Got a great deal on a leftover new Super ($31.7k out the door) when my '07 DTS was pulled ahead by GM. Ride has softened somewhat with break-in, but the magnetic ride control is still firmer than in my DTS. Knew I would have to replace the standard Bridgestone tires in order to make the ride acceptable. Replaced tires with Goodyear Assurance Comfortreds (235/55/18) which adds about 1/2 inch to the tires diameter and about 1/4 inch to the car's ride height. The tires made a big difference when compared to the hard riding and noisy Bridgestones. The car, at 2,600 miles, gets about 18 mpg combined vs. 20 mpg with the DTS. This may be due to the performance tuning and the final drive ratio.

MSRP about $13k cheaper than similarly equipped DTS. Same platform and factory as DTS. Quieter and smoother ride after switching tires. Rides much smoother than my '06 Q45. Seats almost as comfy as DTS. Blind spot alert system. Low NVH levels. Nav system.

Dump the Bridgestones. DTS had three seals around each door; Lucerne has only one and one-half (exterior noise more hushed on DTS). DTS and Lucerne both need the Blind Zone alert system. Update both cars for the next decade. Improve fuel economy. A six-speed automatic. Charging Ipod port. Six CDs.