Used 2008 Buick Enclave SUV Consumer Reviews - 263 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Buick Enclave SUV

View reviews for a specific Enclave model:

Leaking Sunroofs and Whinning Steering
By kcosom

2008 Buick Enclave SUV CX 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

This vehicle is very attractive. "Certified" hah. I purchased it last summer, which it rarely rains in the summer. Unfortunately one rainy day my passenger notice rain coming in mainly from the sunroof and rear interior lights housing, I noticed it in the front, dripping from the visors housing. Apparently the design of this vehicle was not thought out regarding leaks. To top it off the warranty states that leaks are not covered, as if the maker knew it would leak. Not only the leaking the steering in now whinning each time I turn. This vehicle has been one dissapointment after another. My first Buick and possibly my last, sad to say.
Mechanic states need inner/outer tie rods:(

Nice Car, But One BIG Issue People Need To Know About
By falconeddy

2008 Buick Enclave SUV CXL 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

There is a part in the transmission known as the 3-5-R clutch wave plate, or just the 'wave plate'. It has been discussed in depth on many forums for those of us that own an earlier GM, Lambda-designed based vehicle. Outlook, Acadia, Enclave, Traverse; not all model years are affected. The wave plate has an exceptionally high rate of failure, and we've speculated the possibly of reverse installation (it's a large toothed ring). They're covered under warranty up until 100,000 miles or 5 years. After that, you get to pay the $3000.00 (or more) bill yourself. So far, GM has refused to acknowledge the problem, but we're still trying to get them to do something about it. BEWARE OF THIS ISSUE!!!

Quiet Tuning

A redesign for better visibility and less blind spots

119,000 miles in 5 years proves this is an excellent car
By tinyelvis

2008 Buick Enclave SUV CXL 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I have updated my Enclave in this forum since newly purchased in Aug 2007. It still rides great. Everything works as well as the day I bought it. Seats are showing minimal wear for the time/mileage. Paint still looks showroom new. Have I had issues? You bet. Have they been resolved? Yes, and not always the first time. Five times a year we head to our vacation home, tacking on 2800 per trip. I can drive the entire 16 hours straight thru...no back or neck or shoulder pain. We easily haul 6 people and all their stuff. Repairs paid by GM: Tranny at 65k; wheel hub assembly at 76k. Repairs paid by me: door hinge; 1 set of rotors; 2 sets of brake pads; Fluids. $1200 for engine gaskets at 116,500.

Interior dash - nearly as nice as my Audi A8L. Cargo capacity is enormous. Switchgear still nice and tactile. Seats showing minimal wear in the leather. Carpets still look good. Hatch opens and closed as advertised. Headlamps are outstanding, although the "google eyes" articulation dosn't sweep nearly as far as the Audi. DVD, stereo, everything still works great. Nearly 5 years, 119,000 and still have original battery. Finally had a tuneup, changed all the fluids as a precaution. The windshield is getting pitted will need replacement. This car has been a joy to travel in, a joy to maintain, and a joy to own.

Very few here. Passenger seat does not move up/down. Hello, GM, passengers may want a change of butt angle over a 16 hour haul. Rain sensing wiper for rear window makes perfect sense to me. Larger, easier to read switchgear would be nice but certainly not a deal breaker. Engine could use a few more horses, and newer models have them. Brakes are excellent. I love this Buick. We will eventually leave it at our vacation home as our permanent ride.

Service Engine Light
By msgoodie

2008 Buick Enclave SUV CX 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased a 2008 enclave used in May 2010. the first time the service engine light came on in Septemeber 2010. Then 4 more times in July 2011. Every few days after the dealership so called repaired the problem the service engine light would come on and the SUV would lose power. That went on 4 times within a few weeks. I finally thought the problem was addressed until now. The light came on again. It's still under warrrantly and been at the dealership for 4 days and I still have not recieved a diagnostic call. I'm almost out of warranty and need to make a decision to either buy an extened warranty or trade it in. I now know why the previous owner got rid of it after just two years.

I love the interior space and the design.

Aging Enclave
By usabill

2008 Buick Enclave SUV CXL 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

We've had the car now for 4 years with less than 40,000 miles and have run into a few snags - all covered by warranty.

1. Both retractable mirrors stopped working.
2. Battery went dead warranty covered replacement.
3. The vehicle one day left me dead in a parking lot and would not jump start. Both ONStar, & car phone wouldn't work but other electrical did. It had to be towed to dealer they stated anti-theft system locked up and "only" dealer could reset. This is a worry if I had been out camping in remote location.
4. GPS NAV system disk error - had to replace entire radio system.
5. Water pump failed - had to pull off road and call for tow.

Quite car to drive - very luxurious for driver and passengers.

Electrical systems need to have some sort of backup or override system. Having the vehicle go into anti-theft mode and ONLY dealer can reset is real concern. This aspect alone will cause me to seek another vehicle once time comes because we travel to many remote regions in the desert.