Used 2008 Buick Enclave Consumer Reviews - 261 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Buick Enclave

View reviews for a specific Enclave model:

119,000 miles in 5 years proves this is an excellent car
By tinyelvis

2008 Buick Enclave CXL 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I have updated my Enclave in this forum since newly purchased in Aug 2007. It still rides great. Everything works as well as the day I bought it. Seats are showing minimal wear for the time/mileage. Paint still looks showroom new. Have I had issues? You bet. Have they been resolved? Yes, and not always the first time. Five times a year we head to our vacation home, tacking on 2800 per trip. I can drive the entire 16 hours straight thru...no back or neck or shoulder pain. We easily haul 6 people and all their stuff. Repairs paid by GM: Tranny at 65k; wheel hub assembly at 76k. Repairs paid by me: door hinge; 1 set of rotors; 2 sets of brake pads; Fluids. $1200 for engine gaskets at 116,500.

Interior dash - nearly as nice as my Audi A8L. Cargo capacity is enormous. Switchgear still nice and tactile. Seats showing minimal wear in the leather. Carpets still look good. Hatch opens and closed as advertised. Headlamps are outstanding, although the "google eyes" articulation dosn't sweep nearly as far as the Audi. DVD, stereo, everything still works great. Nearly 5 years, 119,000 and still have original battery. Finally had a tuneup, changed all the fluids as a precaution. The windshield is getting pitted will need replacement. This car has been a joy to travel in, a joy to maintain, and a joy to own.

Very few here. Passenger seat does not move up/down. Hello, GM, passengers may want a change of butt angle over a 16 hour haul. Rain sensing wiper for rear window makes perfect sense to me. Larger, easier to read switchgear would be nice but certainly not a deal breaker. Engine could use a few more horses, and newer models have them. Brakes are excellent. I love this Buick. We will eventually leave it at our vacation home as our permanent ride.

Service Engine Light
By msgoodie

2008 Buick Enclave CX 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased a 2008 enclave used in May 2010. the first time the service engine light came on in Septemeber 2010. Then 4 more times in July 2011. Every few days after the dealership so called repaired the problem the service engine light would come on and the SUV would lose power. That went on 4 times within a few weeks. I finally thought the problem was addressed until now. The light came on again. It's still under warrrantly and been at the dealership for 4 days and I still have not recieved a diagnostic call. I'm almost out of warranty and need to make a decision to either buy an extened warranty or trade it in. I now know why the previous owner got rid of it after just two years.

I love the interior space and the design.

Aging Enclave
By usabill

2008 Buick Enclave CXL 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

We've had the car now for 4 years with less than 40,000 miles and have run into a few snags - all covered by warranty.

1. Both retractable mirrors stopped working.
2. Battery went dead warranty covered replacement.
3. The vehicle one day left me dead in a parking lot and would not jump start. Both ONStar, & car phone wouldn't work but other electrical did. It had to be towed to dealer they stated anti-theft system locked up and "only" dealer could reset. This is a worry if I had been out camping in remote location.
4. GPS NAV system disk error - had to replace entire radio system.
5. Water pump failed - had to pull off road and call for tow.

Quite car to drive - very luxurious for driver and passengers.

Electrical systems need to have some sort of backup or override system. Having the vehicle go into anti-theft mode and ONLY dealer can reset is real concern. This aspect alone will cause me to seek another vehicle once time comes because we travel to many remote regions in the desert.

Stay away from the 2008 Enclave,Traverse,Acadia
By fr8bil

2008 Buick Enclave CXL 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

In '08 models of the GM vehicles sharing the "Lambda" platform including Enclave, Traverse and Acadia, GM built the V-6 using a defective timing chain.
These chains are prone to stretching which throws a trouble code 1st or causes major engine damage. GM/Buick's solution is to re-program the on-board oil life monitor to advise owners to change oil more frequently which will not fix anything. If the vehicle is still under warranty when the chains stretch, they will be replaced with completely different part numbers.
If not under warranty you are screwed for about a $4-$5K repair.
GM refuses to do a recall and there should be a class action pn this issue. Cargo door latch, steering squeaks

Styling, interior room, handling, comfortable driving position. Cargo room.

Replace all '08 engine timing chains via model year recall. Engine badly needs more power to move a 5000lb. vehicle...add turbo option to preserve fuel mileage which now runs about 19-20 hwy.

The Most Awesome Vehicle We Have Ever Owned!
By bob_w

2008 Buick Enclave CXL 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

We bought our Enclave in August of 2007. We have had only 1 problem. The GPS unit just did stop working. Other than that it has been extremely reliable. It rides like a dream and is very versatile.
We keep a car for a long while, therefore we spend a lot of time in selection. We drove all vehicles in this class before making our decision. My wife just knew that she wanted the Volvo before we started. 13 vehicle test drives later we are picking the options and color of our new Enclave.
If I had to replace it today, I would probably get it again!

It is a true 7 passenger vehicle. That would be comfort for all 7! The problem is that whenever we go somewhere we always have to drive because everyone loves the Enclave! We love the amount of room for luggage and vacation purchases. The ride and low noise level make it the perfect vehicle for a trip or just riding around town. The style is the same now as it was when we bought ours. So some people think that we have a new vehicle! But the classy look did attract us to this vehicle right away. And we still like the "look"!

The only thing that might be nice would be arm rests on the front seats. Other than that I can't think of any.