Used 2002 Buick Century Sedan Consumer Reviews - 60 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Buick Century Sedan

View reviews for a specific Century model:

Not bad
By analee101

2002 Buick Century Sedan Custom 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Ok I'm 18 so I wasn't thrilled about the looks, but I have to say as far as performance and reliability goes, I'm impressed! It has had to have several things fixed and I have had a few problems with the breaks in the past, but the car is reliable, great stopping ability and can get to high speeds fairly quickly, nothing like a souped up sports car, but its good over my work to school then back home commute. I would definitely recommend!!!

Speed, Reliability, Handiling

Better Brakes

Never again! Shame on you, GM!
By london_bridge

2002 Buick Century Sedan Custom 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I treated this car better than any of my previous "rides". After 30 years on the road, I've found I get fewer & fewer miles on GM cars before parts fail. 32,000 and the Intake Manifold Gasket failed. I have a BIG problem with religiously taking my car into dealerships that will only suggest every form of maintenance except the one they know is suspicious.

I'm too late for the
DEX-COOL suit, but I did have a Chevy (62K) that was eligible. Submitted my documentation and rec'd a form letter that my car was a year older than it was, so it wasn't eligible.

I also owned (before dealer exchanged) a Buick Skyhawk that had the same part fail at 40K before I bought it.

This is a wonderful car if you like to sit in it and not be able to drive it. Cozy seating and very roomy. Maybe GM should start manufacturing furniture instead of cars?!

GM needs to address the intake manifold gasket situation and reimburse those of us they've cashed in on. They dec'd to ignore it (and still do) until the DEX-COOL class action suit and then conveniently filed bankruptcy which infuriated their loyal customers. This could have been caught prior to the failure if the 27-point inspection was worth anything. Take your car in every 3-6 mos for scheduled maintenance and following all suggested add'l services, but they won't let you know about a problem part until you have to pay to replace it yourself. Nice way to do business, GM! Buick Customer Care will not help you, but please contact them so we can get them to recall it for this lemon part!

200,000+ and still going
By clrm

2002 Buick Century Sedan Custom 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

This car has been a really reliable one. Have had it 8 years and now has over 200,000 on it. The care is just now giving me trouble. The intake gasket has broken, a transmission valve had to be replace, the dashboard odometer has to be replaced, as well as the selector switch for the heat/ac. Most everything else has ran well. My driver's side window switch has a short in it, but I won't spend the money for the whole panel, when I know it needs only a new switch.

I like the fact that the car is a heavy enough car to feel safer on the Highway than in a "cracker-box" kind of car.

Please quit making parts in such a way that you have to spend hundreds of dollars to fix a $2.00 part. To many things come as a unit ie. the headlights, tail lights, and door/window panel.

Don't buy one!
By hedgeman1

2002 Buick Century Sedan Custom 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Every time I breathe this car breaks down. First manifold gaskets, then wheel speed sensor, then speed sensor harness, then a/c goes out then other wheel speed harness, then I have dash lights coming on like a Christmas tree on the dash! Check engine light, service engine light, abs light, traction control light! Digital odometer quit working, gear indicator no longer visible! Its one thing after another! Never ever will buy another one of these! If spent more in repairs in last 3 years then I spent for car!

NONE

Everything!

One of the Good Ones
By Robert Neglia

2002 Buick Century Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Very few problems until last year, it seemed everything was going wrong at one time. Had leak in intake manifold gasket, Tie-Rod end went to include drive belt tensioner arm, one engine and transmission mount broke and a few other items, repairs were over $3,000; extended warranty helped, but still had to pay allot. Center brake lights shorted out few times. Inside lower door panel starting to rust. Now, getting noise after heavy rain when making steering corrections. Mileage is 14.8 city mid 20's highway. It is a bad feeling when you lose thrust in your cars reliability and those making repairs to your vehicle.

Comfortable, good handling, great pick- up.

Vanity lights have tendency to stay on need to improve switch. Drivers seat leather cracks and seam separates after 4 years. Redesign intake manifold gasket. Improve drivers seat lower lumbar support