Used 2006 BMW Z4 Consumer Reviews - 67 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 BMW Z4

View reviews for a specific Z4 model:

Love my new BMW rag top!
By Billy Salts

2006 BMW Z4 3.0si 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I am having a blast with this car! This car has it all, great looks, (Metallic Silver with Red Leather), 6 speed all with 255HP. This car sounds like an F1 race car when it winds up. Great clutch, great gear box and push button top. Gas mileage is about 24 mpg. I love this car.

Easy push button top, great gear box and the power is on target.

The steering feels a little slushy. I popped a run flat and paid $275 bucks for a replacement.

Fun car
By Chete

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is a retiree's escape to a driving dream. It is a fun car. The optional wind turbulance deflectors allow a newspaper to lie on the passenger seat at 70 mph. The selectronic 6 speed is very smooth. The turn radius is sharp. Handling is tight on turns. A solid runner.

The fast hands free top that cycles in 10 seconds. Sufficiently quiet with top down. The smooth auto tran.

A tad more power with the 3.0i; wish now had chosen the 3si. Otherwise, a very very fine roadster.

This is one great redo
By Michael

2006 BMW Z4 3.0si 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I previously owned a 2003 Z4 3.0, and now have a 2006 Z4 3.0si. While I loved the first one, the new Z4 is spectacular. Press the sport button on the si, and it changes the manners completely. I always felt that I could have used a little more power- but not so much tha I have no choice of transmissions and pay a gas guzzling tax, like the M. This is that perfect car. Until the twin turbo from the new 335 makes it over!

I love the paddle shifting on the wheel, the sound system really rocks, and the M seats (a totally worth-it option).

Where is the lock (so valets cannot access it) for the glovebox- or better, the center rear storage compartment? Give me a lock there, please. Also, the motion-sensing alarm cost $1200-$1400, so make sure you negotiate that at the beginning if you want to park with the top down and have security.

Exceptional in everyway
By KVK

2006 BMW Z4 3.0si 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This car has the most road feel of all the cars I test drove. When I first got behind the wheel of an 05 3.0 I knew this was the car to get in the first ten minutes. So fun to drive and the quality of workmanship and materials are great. This car handles like a slot car with nice power. M-seats are a must. The stereo is awesome. I am 6'0 tall and fit comfortably inside. This is my first BMW and now I know what the buzz is about!

M-seats, power, handling, quality of materials and workmanship. Stereo sound quality is top notch.

I would suggest using non RFTs. On the freeway they tend to wander on the ruts.

Love My Z
By Laurence

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

The 2006 Z4 is a great ride! Not only great looking (I get compliments several times a week), but a great drive. It rockets off the line with the 6 speed SMG paddles providing visions of F1 dancing through my head. It eats up curves, I have had it +70 mph on highway exit ramps and is very roomy for a 2 seater. All that and I use it as my daily driver too. It gets me to and from work, and has even hauled the groceries in a pinch with its very usable trunk space. Overall it is just plain fun... a practical car that you can race in a pinch, take a nice Sunday drive or go shopping in.

The control. I have driven other roadsters and Bimmers before, but the turning ability and response in this vehicle is surreal!

A little better gas mileage might be nice. Granted, that is not why you buy a car like this and it could be the aggresive way I drive it (it dares me though!) but with top down sport driving in real life I only average about 14 MPG. Other than that, this is about as good as driving gets!