Used 2006 BMW Z4 Consumer Reviews - 67 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 BMW Z4

View reviews for a specific Z4 model:

My Toy
By Bob

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I finally bought a 3rd car for our family. I have always wanted a convertible sports car. After a lot of test driving and research, we decided to purchase a used 2006 with 8,000 miles on it from the certified lot at our local BMW store. We have absolutely no regrets!! I had my heart set on a Porsche Boxster, but after test driving the Z4 I was sold. We have had it for over a year and it still puts a smile on my face every time I get in. Strong acceleration, handling, and comfort. I even drove it 487 miles in one day with the top down and loved every minute of it!!

Acceleration, styling, and handling. Solid straight forward interior design, just right for a rag top.

Better radio display and iPod jack (standard), hard to see with the sun shining in. A little more power. I know I should have purchased the 3.0si.

Zed 4 3.0i
By Kipper

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this car after test driving SLKs, Miatas, Z300s, Boxsters and S2000s. The Zed 4 3.0i, although not the highest performing Zed 4, seems to be more refined than the other cars I tested. The handling is crisp and throttle response is quick. The 3.0i is not particularly quick for this class, but does provide a 0-60 mph time under six seconds. It is a good highway cruiser but a bit bumpy on the backroads. However, I never lost any confidence in handling while on bumpy roads. I'm averaging 24 miles per gallon, driving in both highway and city. The body style is a real head turner and the interior seems to fit the body style.

The interior space is large compared to the other cars I tested. The trunk is larger than the other cars in this class. This car came with an automatic transmission with the paddle shifters. This car came with the optional 'sport' mode. Sport mode gives the 3.0i and extra kick in performance.

BMW should do a better job at quality control. I found several small but irritating flaws. The clear plastic cover on the tach was smeared on the back of the glass which impedes my view during certain lighting conditions. I would add the extra 15 horsepower to the 3.0i like other BMW 3.0 engines.

Quality with Flaws
By Peter J

2006 BMW Z4 3.0si 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Interior build quality is disappointing due to use of cheap plastics. Been back to the dealer 4 time because of annoying squeaks and rattles but dealer cannot fix. The high performance driving experience is marred by these constant squeaks and rattles, even happening at low speeds. Ride is extremely harsh. On anything other than perfect roads you can feel everything down to the road paint. The car is easily pulled from side to side by uneven roads. Tire noise is high. Of course this kind of handling is to be expected for this type of car. Otherwise, the car has exceptional performance.

Great engine, fast acceleration. Sport mode provides excellent acceleration and smooth, rapid shifting. Cornering at high speeds is incredible. Engine sounds great at high rpms.

Use higher quality plastics on interior. Lose the rattles and squeaks due to low quality plastics. Lose the run flat tires. Improve the GPS interface. Have a tech company design it! BMW should give up completely on this feature. Car should hold a straight line better on uneven pavement.

Z4 truly a great car
By Olivier

2006 BMW Z4 3.0si 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have always been a corvette lover, but the Z4 took my heart away. Incredible handling, acceleration. The sport package in my opinion is a must to truly appeciate the driving experience of a Z4.

Quick tops down; sport feature.

Better blue tooth phone integration

A Year Later--Still WOW
By Bill

2006 BMW Z4 3.0si 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Ok, my first review was Feb 2007 and at that time I was wowed by this car. A year later, living in Germany, this car absolutely rocks. On the autobahn this ragtop can cruise as fast as the others (135mph our top speed so far). But we prefer to take the top down on a sunny day and slow- drive in the right lane as everyone looks. It is that hot. We knew we were coming to europe when we purchased but I can truly say that the Z4 was designed with the autobahn in mind and is super cool to drive. Its handling is absolutely on point. It is truly the "roadster" it is purported to be. Hands down, she wins!

Sport feature for freeway/autobahn stiffens handling well. Sport suspension rocks. The automatic 9 second top up and down is hilariously cool. Front end styling is classic Bavarian stuff. Buy one now before they change anything!

GPS options. Nothing else.