Used 2006 BMW Z4 3.0i Consumer Reviews - 30 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Z4 model:

Bavarian beauty
By 2006 BMW Z4i

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have only owned this car for 5 months and love it. Previous car was a 1998 Porsche 911, while the Z4 cannot compare to the 911 in performance it comes very close and cost a lot less in purchase price and maint. cost. I also think it is a better looking car. I have gotten more looks and compliments then I did with the 911.

Looks, comfort, performance, reasonable gas mileage 25 mpg avg. and ergonomics

I think the z4 should come standard with 255hp, it would then be much closer to the Nissan 370Z and the 911

Can't Go Wrong With a Bimmer
By Bimmer4Life

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Bought this car just a couple months ago with 9,900 miles on it. Always loved the 3 series but fell in love with the Z and I got a good price, too and previous owner paid for all the options [wood dash, power seats/convertible top, HID headlights]. I get looks everywhere I go, and the front styling resembles a 6-series I suppose. Acceleration is best at higher speeds, that's where it really shines. I wish it had more accessible low-end power, but you can't have everything. I average about 25 mpg, but when in traffic that number plummets. Overall I'm extremely satisfied with this Bimmer.

Unique exterior styling, space-saving pop-in cupholders, large trunk space, steering wheel mounted stereo controls, fast power convertible top.

Better weight distribution. It's so front heavy that any slope change or even going over reflectors will send the car veering off the side. My only complaint about the car.

From a Z-3 To a Z-4
By K-Bone

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Well i went from a z-3 to a z-4 miss the curves and the shark gills on the side, but love the power cornering one touch roof and better sound system then the z3.Cup holders in a great spot,not in way of stick shift. Larger trunk,can fit golf clubs and small cooler in this one. They also put a glass window in this one instead of the ole plastic one. Great lighting one the front light up the road also. Owned a 2003 Boxster also at one time and this is less of a money out of pocket kind of car also.

Great sound and pick up. Good sound system,bluetooth system works better then my solo headset, headlights really light up the road and nice driving lights, gas mileage is kind on the pocket also. One touch roof fabulous.

Could have come with security system instead of a pricey add on. A quicker door unlock response from the key chain.6 disc changer would be nice also even if in trunk like z-3 was.

My Toy
By Bob

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I finally bought a 3rd car for our family. I have always wanted a convertible sports car. After a lot of test driving and research, we decided to purchase a used 2006 with 8,000 miles on it from the certified lot at our local BMW store. We have absolutely no regrets!! I had my heart set on a Porsche Boxster, but after test driving the Z4 I was sold. We have had it for over a year and it still puts a smile on my face every time I get in. Strong acceleration, handling, and comfort. I even drove it 487 miles in one day with the top down and loved every minute of it!!

Acceleration, styling, and handling. Solid straight forward interior design, just right for a rag top.

Better radio display and iPod jack (standard), hard to see with the sun shining in. A little more power. I know I should have purchased the 3.0si.

Zed 4 3.0i
By Kipper

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this car after test driving SLKs, Miatas, Z300s, Boxsters and S2000s. The Zed 4 3.0i, although not the highest performing Zed 4, seems to be more refined than the other cars I tested. The handling is crisp and throttle response is quick. The 3.0i is not particularly quick for this class, but does provide a 0-60 mph time under six seconds. It is a good highway cruiser but a bit bumpy on the backroads. However, I never lost any confidence in handling while on bumpy roads. I'm averaging 24 miles per gallon, driving in both highway and city. The body style is a real head turner and the interior seems to fit the body style.

The interior space is large compared to the other cars I tested. The trunk is larger than the other cars in this class. This car came with an automatic transmission with the paddle shifters. This car came with the optional 'sport' mode. Sport mode gives the 3.0i and extra kick in performance.

BMW should do a better job at quality control. I found several small but irritating flaws. The clear plastic cover on the tach was smeared on the back of the glass which impedes my view during certain lighting conditions. I would add the extra 15 horsepower to the 3.0i like other BMW 3.0 engines.