Used 2005 BMW Z4 Convertible Consumer Reviews - 82 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 BMW Z4 Convertible

View reviews for a specific Z4 model:

Performance, economy & reliability!
By Don Durant

2005 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I've owned lots of foreign cars & sporty cars, but never a BMW before & if the Z4 is indicative of all BMWs, I'm a convert. In 42,000 miles, the care has only been in the shop for regular maintenance (FREE!) & that's only about every 15,000 miles. The Z4 is hands down the most practical sports car I've owned. Combined fuel economy is 25.5 mpg. The original tires lasted 40,000 miles. I'm 6'2" & it's comfortable, even for long trips. I drive lots on 2 lane country roads & the passing power is excellent. The Steptronic transmission is fun or easy & I love the sport drive feature. My next car will definitely be a BMW if this one ever wears out!

Sports car performance & good looks.

I don't have the Xenon headlight & really wish I did. Compared to my wife's Acura MDX, the lights are barely adequate.

Too many problems
By Jishnu Kinwar

2005 BMW Z4 Convertible 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

The car is good performance wise, fast, fuel economy better than expected. But it is not reliable and poorly built. Had problems with the retractable hood, steering wheel jammed, side windows not going down, memory reset all with in 18 months of ownership. Even today, sometimes when I close a window it goes all the way up and then comes down and one has to repeat several times before it shuts. After filing a formal complaint no action was taken by BMW. I have paid a lot of money for the car and at least expected a formal apology. Will never buy another BMW.

Good speakers, fast.

A Class Apart
By fasteddie

2005 BMW Z4 Convertible 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I tested a number of convertibles under $35K before buying the Z4 but none came close to the value and performance of the BMW. The Z4, even with the smaller 2.5 liter engine, is an impressive performer. It has a strong power curve in gears 3-5 and plenty of torque in 1st and 2nd. The Z4 is plenty fast, but if you want to run with the big boys, get the 3.0 liter and the six speed. The cornering and handling is very good but a notch below more serious sports cars like the Boxster. You will fall in love with the sound of the exhaust. My only complaint is the noticeable electronic steering assist at low speed. You can buy a one year old low mileage Z4 fully loaded for the low $30s!

Power top, self dimming mirrors, Xenon headlights and a stereo whose volume increases with the speed of the car. What a hoot! Very comfortable seating with height adjustment for short people!

Get rid of the electronic assist steering.

Love it!
By Jannet

2005 BMW Z4 Convertible 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I love my Z4! It handles extremely well in the rain. It's a great looking car inside and out. I leased it but am planning to buy it because I can not be without my Z. :)

The silver chrome inside.

More room inside.

A real value
By Desert Fox

2005 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

There's little I would change or request. Just wish they would refine the lines on the back like they did in front!

Drives great.

Needs a sleeker rear portion to match the front! In dash multi CD player should be standard.