Used 2004 BMW Z4 Convertible Consumer Reviews - 223 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 BMW Z4 Convertible

View reviews for a specific Z4 model:

Fun and practicality in one package
By Matt S.

2004 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this car as a CPO with 13,000 miles on it. I have not been disappointed at all. Living in Southern California, this car does it all for me, from running to the grocery store to taking it for a run in the mountains. This is not a weekend toy for me; I use it regularly. I drove this car cross-country and was pleasantly surprised by comfort level it gave me on a 6000 mile trip. Its performance is excellent; it sticks to a mountain road like glue even on wet/icy pavement. I have every option but the nav system; the power driver's seat definitely ups the comfort level. I definitely recommend the 6 speed manual; it's a pain sometimes in LA traffic, but worth it overall.

Performance, decent trunk space for a roadster, great gas mileage (30+ hwy/25 city), ergonomics, highly reliable and trouble-free. Comfort level for me is good; I never get out of this car feeling tired after a long drive. At 5'8", this car fits me like a glove. Plenty of usable cabin storage.

A higher front end, but problem solved with a nose mask to protect it. The cup holders are a bit flimsy, but functional. The handling comes at a price with the very low profile tires that come with the sport package providing a very firm ride that can be a bit uncomfortable on rough pavement.

Great Weekend Toy
By Kevin Campbell

2004 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Great toy for the weekends. Never even a warranty item. Corners great. I have the SMG package which takes getting use to. Boxster S killer and Porsche owners always hate to loose! Drawbacks, cup holders are useless but necessary to have drinks in the Florida heat. This is a sports car and a bumpy sports car ride with stiff seats. Anything past a couple hours it hard on the butt.

Corners like it is on rails, one of the best designs ever. Gets ferrari looks without the cost of a ferrari

Give us a real radio, some cup holders that work and a little more cushion in the seats so we can drive it more than 2 hours.

As good as it gets
By Werner

2004 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Roadster (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

What a fantasic roadster, much better than the Z3, test drove the TT and Boxster. It's simply better than anything in its class.

Looks, handling, power, style, handles everything in grace. Electric top, rare beauty, and so much more.

Cup holders.

Fun, fun, fun - but a bit impractical
By AZDave

2004 BMW Z4 Convertible 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Let's face it. People buy cars like this for their fun factor, and perhaps for their "cool" factor as well. The Z4 does a bang-up job of providing both while delivering upwards of 25 mpg. It's a bit of a chore getting in and out, especially for a 6'2" guy like me, but once you're inside it's surprisingly roomy if you lower the seats all the way. The power convertible top works perfectly, and the interior is gorgeous. The ride is stiff, but the car runs and handles fantastically. My only complaint: you have to be careful when parking or you'll scrape the underside of the front cowling.

Fun to drive, convertible top, exotic/cool styling that gets lots of "oohs" and "aahs."

Add a couple of inches to the length and make the cockpit just a smidge larger. Raise the whole car another inch or so off the ground. Add some kind of guardrail or bumpers to protect the front end or have a built-in curb sensor. Do something about the cup holders. They're terrible!

Z is good for me
By throb

2004 BMW Z4 Convertible 2.5i 2dr Roadster (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I got this car when I finally could afford one and wow it did not disappoint. I got the SMG based transmission and that thing is a total blast. I love the car so much that I am leasing a new 07 Z4 3.0si starting in 2 days! My only gripe is that the Z series is always behind in cool technology that the 3 series has. No siruis radio. Pathetic. It's a very small gripe on a kickin' car!

Body shape and driving experience.

Add more of the new technology and put the SMG back into the Z series!