Used 2012 BMW X5 Consumer Reviews - 24 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 BMW X5

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

How BMW lost a 15 year customer
By Don Louis

2012 BMW X5 xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

We bought two X5's, one in 2001, one in 2011. The 2012 X5 has 28K miles on it and warranty expired in October '15. In early October, the car called BMW and said service was required. We took it and they could not say what service was needed. We told them to replace the wipers since we were there on our $1,000+ extended service plan. So far we have gotten two sets of wipers and two oil changes for our $1000. Don't buy that plan from them. It covers little. In December '15 the vehicle was leaking oil in the garage. They determined it was leaking from a hose going to the turbocharger and fixed it as a courtesy beyond the warranty period at no charge. 45 days later it was leaking again in the same spot in the garage. This time it was determined that the turbocharger needed replaced. They agreed to replace it with a 5% deductible of $263. Each trip there is painful. The service department is grossly understaffed. Today there was one adviser there, with a line waiting to see her. She was literally running, doing her best. After a 10 minute wait to pay and a 10 minute wait to get the vehicle, I was out. The car smells like glue really strong. I got an appraisal too, no longer having peace of mind. Our $60K car is now worth $24K after 4 years and 4 months, and 28,000 miles. BMW no longer holds it's value. Our 15 years of BMW loyalty are at an end. The quality of product has declined, and the dealer experiences are time consuming and frustrating. BMW is supposed to give you peace of mind and the ultimate driving experience. For us, they have failed.

Great car ,reliable ,fun to drive
By okahati

2012 BMW X5 xDrive35i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Since 2012 I own my BMW x5 . I got it new ,Other then free regular service I had never had any problem with the car, it's fun to drive , the navigation system needs improvment ,

Glad I Chose a 2012 BMW X5 Diesel
By carbear3

2012 BMW X5 xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I bought this car about 2 years ago. Interested in better gas mileage but something that also offered me luxury and power, I decided to buy the 2012 X5 diesel. I'm glad I did. My car is sleek, plush, extremely well-built and runs perfectly. What I like about the diesel, too, is that it keeps getting better gas mileage as I break it in. I feel safe in my BMW and pampered. Thanks to my BMW's excellent steering and speed, I was saved from (and avoided) what could have been a life-altering accident. I've never been so impressed with a vehicle--so was my friend, who was also saved. This was an excellent choice for me, and going to the facility in South Carolina was icing on the cake.

The ride is smooth, plush and fun. It's comfortable. I love the sun roof, navigation system, and back-up camera. She turns on a dime and has speed. The design is carved exquisite. She always sparkles and is a joy to ride in. I wasn't sure how I'd like having a diesel, but I love it. I can't say enough good things about this car.

I've had my car for almost 2 years, and I can't think of anything she's missing. I suppose I'd always like better gas mileage. More room for modern gadgets for front seat access, like cell phones, would be great. My 3rd-row is pretty skimpy.

Confidence in the Passing Lane
By ponch

2012 BMW X5 xDrive35i Sport Activity 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

On the highway, in the passing lane¬Ö.this is where the BMW X5 sets itself apart.
It holds the lane so well and it WANTS to go fast. It is so comfortable on a long trip home from the ski slopes. But there is a trade-off. While it may blow the doors of a Lexus GX in the passing lane, it will spend seemingly 3x as much time in the repair shop having annoying stuff fixed and warning lights turned off.

BMW does not protect electronics from melted snow or grocery spills in the cargo area
By x5dieselowner

2012 BMW X5 xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

Do not let the BMW perception for reliability deceive you. Common place expectations for simple engineering rigor to protect consumers from costly repairs due to liquid damage is not a part of the BMW reputation. If you are considering purchasing a BMW think twice. The marketing team was responsible for the final decision not to repair over $1300.00 in damage due to electronics placed along the drip path for liquid spills in the rear cargo area of the X5d. The electronic connectors were placed in a position so that the cup is turned in a way to catch liquids. There are no protective nor preventative measures to prevent liquids from entering and destroying critical expensive electronics.

At the vehicle purchase cost of $70k and no engineering rigor to protect consumers from liquid spills from groceries, camping equipment, or melted snow from your skis there is not a favorite feature for this vehicle. There are several electronic processors, sensors, and controllers for braking, stabilization, and critical systems components for the operation of the vehicle. This vehicle has the potential to leave you stranded and freezing in a blizzard, in the rain with a wet pair of boots in the back, or on the side of the road in the middle of the night due to a spilled starbucks drink.

Buy a Mercedes, a GMC, or a vehicle from a manufacturer who stands behind their reputation and provides engineering rigor as a part of quality control.