Used 2011 BMW X5 Consumer Reviews - 72 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 BMW X5

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

Flawless, FUN vehicle.
By wittyj

2011 BMW X5 xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

Have owned the vehicle for six month, with about 6000 miles driven. It is flawless. Mileage in town is 23 to 25. Hiway mileage is 28 to 30. Got the multifuntion seats and they are the most comfortable seat in any car I have ever driven. I-drive is a bit too complicated but not that difficult to use after a while. My question is why? We took delivery at the Performance Center in Spartanburg SC. That is quite an experience. It was so enjoyable we went back for a second time. It is an extreme confidence builder to drive your and all the other BMW models at max performance. You will not drive like that on the "streets" but should you have to you know the vehicle is totally capable. BUY ONE!

The diesel engine and the "multifunction seats". They are awesome

Further simplification of the I-Drive would be a good thing. Why make the car and its operation so complicated? The driver would be safer with less to do and no technical distractions.

My 3rd X5 SAV
By dborlando1

2011 BMW X5 xDrive50i 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

(Previously leased a 2003 X5 and 2008 X5 4.8i).
By far, this is my favorite X5, except for the inferior premium sound system compared to my 2008 X5.
Improved NAV system, but takes getting used to.
Cargo space is decent.
Fuel economy at 13.5 MPG average is unacceptable.
Although the 8-speed automatic transmission is smooth, lower engine acceleration for city driving is annoying sluggish.
Great back-up camera that shows actual image of vehicle from above and in the rear.

(1) 8-Speed Automatic, (2) Interior and Exterior Design, (3) Driver and Passenger seat comfort, (4) No 3rd-row seat option makes for extra cargo bin in spare tire well (5) Quiet interior (6) Optional Head-up display (7) Great handling (8) Improved A/C (9) Improved I-Drive controls (10) X-tra large moon roof

(1) Poor gas mileage only 13.5 MPG average (with 19" wheels). (2) Hate the run-flats. (3) choppy and stiff ride around city (4) Premium sound system is inferior to 2008 X5 Premium sound system (5) 19" rims are ugly (6) Very awkward placement for iPhone

Great car, Poor service. Cannot get them to do an oil change
By bodomo

2011 BMW X5 xDrive35i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

This is an update on my previous review titled so far so good. Actually not so good anymore. I currently have 15500 and BMW still refuses to do an oil change. I called for my first oil change at 10000 miles and made an appointment for an oil change and some minor work. After a couple of hours, I get the news that my car does NOT need an oil change, I have to come back at 15000 miles. Crap, why waste my time for this? So recently I made another appointment for an oil change at 15000 and again after another couple of hours of waiting they tell me that again they will not do an oil change because in oil is in good shape and I need to come back in another 5000 miles. This is not worth my time.

Car

Don't advertise free maintenance if you are not going to do any.

Buy one if you can afford it. (update)
By gregvdv

2011 BMW X5 xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I now have 3000 miles on my X5 and after 2 months of driving it gets better every time I climb in the perforated, multi contoured, air conditioned, heated, and massage chair seats. My only real complaint is the sound of the stereo. I upgraded for the premium sound but after having the Logic 7 stereo in my 650, this one sounds low grade. Most of the sound comes from the speaker on the dash board even though I've changed the sound settings over and over to try to get a more balance sound out of it. All other options and aspects of this vehicle have been outstanding so far. Even my 19 year old son likes driving it.

Seats, Seats, Seats. Did I mention the seats?

Put a better stereo in this vehicle. The Logic 7 thats in other BMWs would be perfect for the X5. Not sure why thats no an option.

Fantastic Car So Far
By iowabp

2011 BMW X5 xDrive35i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I purchased this vehicle in November 2010 after a six month new car search.
I previously owned a 2003 Nissan XTerra and was searching for a vehicle that provided the space I was used to, as well as a feeling of comfort and fun.
I'm still surprised by how much I have enjoyed this BMW.

The SUV is fun to drive and has all the bells and whistles you could ask for.
I'm constantly finding new things that make life easier.
From sending Google Maps directions directly to my Navigation to the impressive music hard drive, it's just an easy vehicle to love.

First, the engine. When I hit the gas this car GOES. Challenging position on the interstate and you need to get around someone? Hit the gas and you're past them in a flash. I test drove the Cayenne which has a bit more pickup, but the BMW handles itself darn well. The iDrive takes a day or two to get used to, but overall it works very well. The voice dialing is a breeze if you have a bluetooth phone - no "pre-recording" required. I love the interior as well. Due to the run-flat tires there is "hidden" space in the rear made available by the lack of a spare tire. Great place to store loose items.

First, the music organization of the music hard drive is a bit limiting. I would add a couple of options (such as re-naming songs or consolidating folders/cds) to make it easier., But this is a nit. You quickly get used to how it's laid out and adjust. For all I know, there is a way to do this and I just haven't figured it out yet. Also, the trunk size requires some inventiveness for transporting your golf clubs. Nothing awe-inspiring, but it takes some diagonal inserting or folding the back seat down. Again, just a nit.