Used 2010 BMW X5 Diesel Consumer Reviews - 35 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2010 BMW X5 Diesel

xDrive35d 3.0L 6-cyl. Turbo Diesel AWD 6-speed Automatic - (35 reviews )

BMW diesel is awesome
By LITTLEVINNY

2010 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I purchased 2010 4 months ago. I have 3500 miles on it and I have had no problems. This automobile is incredible. The engine is so smooth and powerful. It feels like you get to 60 mph in 4 secs. It is effortless and fun to drive. I do not think I will ever buy a regular gas engine powered car again. BMW fit and finish is the best. Everything is first class in this vehicle. Did I mention that it is fun to drive? The only thing I do not like is run flat tires. Did I mention that it is fun to drive? I am getting about 23 mpg with about 50/50 city/highway driving. I hope that BMW does not keep raising their prices so much that they become unaffordable. Did I mention that it is fun to

Diesel engine, appearance, handling.

I realize run flat tires are a safety feature but they ride rough and are noisy. Would like to be able to close tailgate from the driver's seat. BMW should do away with fancy, expensive owners Manual and cd's and drop price of car.

2010 BMW x5 Diesel first quarter
By Old_Navy

2010 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

First of all Bellvue could not have treated me better. I had been to to other dealerships locally in the Portland area and they were unsat. My only complaint is the Nav system that can't find anything and the sound system. The nav system has Probability of Success for finding something of less than .5. You could go to the vendor website and enter the lat long, but if you don't know where it is then you don't know lat long either. The radio will tune to both HD and standard signals and sometimes both which is the problem. Like an echo due to signal lag. Sound is not exceptional. Ride is great with the Multi contour seats. Overall car is great though Diesel performs well. Moon roof is nice

Multi-contour seats

Get a real NAV system not some european wannabe. Literally cannot find most of the addresses and you cannot force it to accept an address it doesn't know. Might want to re design running board. You cannot get out without putting the back of your leg against it. Not good if board is wet or dirty.

Will never go back to gas engines
By eastcoast

2010 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

11,000 miles on a 2010 X5 diesel and I love it. Excellent build quality, performance, comfort, and zero defects. (I'll be first in line for the new X5 4.0d in 2011.) I like the comfort/convenience of an SUV while knowing that clean diesel doesn't pollute like a gas SUV. I looked at the 555hp X5 M, but I can't stomach guzzling gas and polluting like that any more. No tire problems yet. (And yes, whiners in the previous post, your X5 does have a spare tire. Try reading your owner's manual.) I've had 6 X5s since 2001. Although this is the most truck-like vehicle BMW has ever made, it has the best combination of performance, fuel efficiency, low emissions.

28.5 mpg pure highway (optimal conditions). City/highway combined mpg: 23. That's great for a 5,300 lb vehicle. Add 3 passengers, and it's 3 tons. Comfort seats are the best. The new iDrive/navigation is vastly improved. The torque is great in the mountains.

BMW, pay attention: not all buyers equate noise with performance. This X5 is quieter than the last generation, but you can still tune out more exhaust and road noise. Diesel engine noise is fine but the exhaust note is too intrusive especially on hard acceleration. Your competitors all are quieter.

I can't believe it's a diesel!
By JACK

2010 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I just took delivery of my 2010 X5 35D and am grinning from ear to ear from the driving experience and the superb turbo diesel engine. I have owned 3 series BMWs previously, but decided to buy something bigger. All in all, the fit and finish and the quality of materials used is second to none. The new I-drive is more intuitive than I anticipated. So far, my only complaint is that the car is a bit difficult to get in and out of. I equipped my X5 with running boards purely for aesthetics and found that it actually impedes one's ability to enter and exit the car and leaves dirt on one's pants. My experience with the car is too new to report on its fuel efficiency. The sound system is nice.

Turbo diesel engine growl during acceleration. Fit and finish of the car. Confidence inspiring handling. The std. sound system.

Offer better value-oriented option packages. Re-design the running boards and the placement of them so that is actually assists the driver and passengers with entering and exiting. Make a better third row seat that adults can actually sit in.

Update after 6500 miles
By Rick

2010 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

After 6500 miles this car has not had a single problem. Average fuel economy is 26.3 mpg. Most of my trips have been 300-400 miles of highway at 80- 85 mph with 60 or so miles of urban driving. For me, this is such a perfect vehicle as it handles long open stretches effortlessly but handles like a sports car in cities and mountains. To those who have rated this car low I can only suggest either they are an anomaly or they have an agenda.

The heated / cooled adjustable seats can be tuned so precisely to your body as to seem like they are molded. Once you learn the I drive system its hard to go back to a conventional vehicle.

The rear storage area could be slightly better as two sets of golf clubs are a little snug.