Used 2009 BMW X5 SUV Consumer Reviews - 28 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

Great for long drives
By FLBMWDriver

2009 BMW X5 SUV xDrive30i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I just picked up my brand new X5 last month and I am very impressed with it so far. I drive 100+ miles per day so a comfortable ride is very important to me. I had my X5 built and I chose the ventilated seat package which was well worth it. The seats adjust in so many ways and the massage feature for the driver is great! My black sapphire X5 turns heads when its clean and the interior is impressive with the brushed aluminum trim giving it a sporty look. The driving position is great and the car is pretty quiet at 70-80mph on the highway. Also, the premium sound system upgrade sounds great and I also like the iPod interface. I would highly recommend this SUV.

Panoramic sunroof, comfort access, ventilated seat package, premium sound system, xenon headlights, fog lights that shine in direction you are turning in.

Better iDrive (supposed to be on 2010 models), some uneven gaps might need to improve build quality, trim around side windows already looks bad... all models should have chrome trim around windows. Better gas mileage for I-6 engine.

Mixed feelings
By Matthew

2009 BMW X5 SUV xDrive30i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

This is my first SUV, or should I say SAV... what got my attention at the dealership was the exterior styling of this vehicle. Also, having never owned a spacious and roomy vehicle, I thought it was time for a change. What I love about my new X5 is the driving position because you sit up very high and the car has very good visibility all around. I also love the panoramic sunroof. I am not sure how I feel about the leatherette seats... they feel kind of rubbery although they seem very durable. I must say the seats are extremely supportive on long trips and adjust in many ways. I feel BMW should try to improve fuel economy in the gasoline engines as I did not want a diesel.

Bi-Xenon Headlights, corona-rings on headlights, and cornering lights. Driving position. Roomy interior. Panoramic Sunroof. Awesome braking power for a 5,000lb vehicle! Cool shifter. Memory key settings very cool and easy.

Gas mileage. Ease of ingress/egress (running boards get in the way). Bass quality of std. audio system pathetic. LCD screen for iDrive too far out of driver's line of sight. Needs A/C vent center console. Larger included wheels/tires. Add more orange LED interior lighting. Ugly std. steering wheel.

Love it but...
By Scott in Austin

2009 BMW X5 SUV xDrive48i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

While my 2009 X5 4.8i only has about 300 miles on it total I've got to say I wake up in the morning looking for places to go just so I can drive this awesome piece of machinery, and I work out of my house. The Pros: Awesome Handling, macho-good looks (especially with my 20" y-spoke sport wheels), solid German engineering, thicker than average sporty steering wheel and powerful. The Cons: Beside the fact I have already had it in the shop for two full days due to two (conicidence? I think maybe not) bad front tires that was causing my car's steering to pull there aren't a whole lot of cons. The i-Drive interface is a joke! BMW has some work to do and could take some pointers from Lexus.

Those fantastic looking 35R20' wheels in the back!.

The i-Drive interface needs to be improved. I'm surprised someone hasn't been in an accident yet trying to figure that out while driving. It needs to be touch screen like Lexus. Also the bluetooth phone ringer needs to ring louder when making a call.

Vermillion Red-Liner
By AIA

2009 BMW X5 SUV xDrive30i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Bought a 09 Vermillion Red X5. These are rare and had to be custom ordered. I have owned X5's in the past and this is a great vehicle. It is fun to drive and handles great like a true BMW even though it's a heavy vehicle. It has all the options imaginable. Gas mileage is great for such a beast.

Voice activation, keyless entry and the fun to drive factor.

Faster processor for the iDrive, rear camera to engage quicker, Park Distance to be 24/7. These are things that I am picky about.

2009 BMW X5 4.8i
By Michael Biggs

2009 BMW X5 SUV xDrive48i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

The x5 is a great car, it has not broken down once. I am amazed it can do over 161 mph. It also has an amazing crash test rating.

The i-drive system is great, it could not be better. I own a 2006 Audi A6 and its computer is easier to use than my 2007 BMW 5-series' computer but my 2009 X5's computer is easier to use than both of them.

The fuel economy needs a bit of work because it gets only 12-16 mpg which is not the best.