Used 2009 BMW X5 Consumer Reviews - 57 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 BMW X5

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

People mover with class and performance
By cnaps

2009 BMW X5 xDrive30i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I must say the BMW X5 3.0 i x-drive
is a excellent looking & driving suv. it's not X5m fast but
perfect for everyday use. The cabin is very comfortable and build quality and materials are of the highest quality and also safety and the brakes are very good and drives very tight. It gives you the room you need to move the family around with out losing the performance and style. Build quality and reliability is as good as it gets. I have had many vehicles from different car manufacturers and all have needed parts and service. If you do your services on time which many people don't do with German cars you will be fine. Don't be fooled thinking other brands of cars or trucks don't need servicing or parts I say buy what you can afford and like and it won't bother you servicing it. And you need pay to play !

Great SUV
By jledoux

2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I bought a off lease 09 X5 D after my wife's new explorer was hit and totaled.

After only a few days all i can say is wow! 425 pound ft of torque and 28 mpg on the highway is an incredible combination.

The X5 has amazing handling and great brakes.
We have owned a fx 35, a xc 90 and a ford explorer and this X5 is by far the best SUV we have owned.

This engine is perfect for a 5000 lb truck. It pulls effortlessly and for such a heavy vehicle it has great pick up.

If you are looking for the perfect combo of fuel mileage, power, comfort and handling look no further. I highly recommend

Power and Comfort

Disappointed
By cruzian

2009 BMW X5 xDrive30i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

It seemed promising at first, but after a few months I'm done with it. There are more rattles than an old Volvo, the 3.0 is weak, iDrive is useless, the run flats are crazy expensive and have NO traction in snow, and it rides worse than my F-150 4X4. Actually, my F-150 is built better, more dependable, has equal handling and performance, and gets about the same gas mileage. Now the evaporator is leaking freon. Maybe this 3rd trip in the dealer can resolve these issues.

Styling inside and out, and the engine sounds great if you can hear it over the rattles.

Build it in Germany, by Germans. By the plastic from Ford; theirs does not creak and rattle. Recall all of the 3.0 engines and equip them with turbochargers. Cancel Exide's contract and return to the previous battery manufacturer. I could go on...

Roadside Assistance is a Scam
By bmfan

2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

Called for a jump start and got a street looking guy with a battery pack not enought AMP to start my X5d.
Called again and waited one hour.
They couldn't find any well equipped tow truck to jump start my car.
I finally used my own AAA and a full size truck showed up in 15 minutes.
This happened in Downtown LA!
Called BMW and they provided no comment.

Get rid of Roadside Assistance or give people choice not to have it. It's a false sense of security. If BMW can't deliver good service, why sell it?

Wish it were more reliable
By Brian B

2009 BMW X5 xDrive48i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

My wife has been driving for almost 2 years. I am trying to decide whether we want to buy from lease. We have had multiple problems with this car. We have had a continuous small surge from the start position. Additionally we had a leak in the sun roof that went into the dash. They had to replace the dash )leather) and all electronics. Problem is fixed but it always lurks in my mind. My wife really likes the car. Power is good. Drives good. We paid extra for the leather dash and upgraded leather seating. Do not get this car without the vented (cooled) seats. I have found it to be extremely hot on the bottom:)

Power, large sunroof, sporty.

Sunroof screen, nav on Idrive.