Used 2009 BMW X5 xDrive30i SUV Consumer Reviews - 14 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

Disappointed
By cruzian

2009 BMW X5 SUV xDrive30i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

It seemed promising at first, but after a few months I'm done with it. There are more rattles than an old Volvo, the 3.0 is weak, iDrive is useless, the run flats are crazy expensive and have NO traction in snow, and it rides worse than my F-150 4X4. Actually, my F-150 is built better, more dependable, has equal handling and performance, and gets about the same gas mileage. Now the evaporator is leaking freon. Maybe this 3rd trip in the dealer can resolve these issues.

Styling inside and out, and the engine sounds great if you can hear it over the rattles.

Build it in Germany, by Germans. By the plastic from Ford; theirs does not creak and rattle. Recall all of the 3.0 engines and equip them with turbochargers. Cancel Exide's contract and return to the previous battery manufacturer. I could go on...

Fed up of inconsistent diagnostics
By faizal ali

2009 BMW X5 SUV xDrive30i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

My BMW is under 6 months old with less than 4000 miles and has been back to the dealer for the same problem. It has an annoying vibrating sound from the engine. The dealer changed the power steering pump and problem still exists; now I am told it might be an engine mount. I would like to return this truck because I am fed up of the inconsistency of what a new car should have. I should have kept my infinti qx4.

Mixed Thoughts
By PhillyDude

2009 BMW X5 SUV xDrive30i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

The car drives and handles great. From a pure driving perspective, it is probably the best SUV I have ever had. However, it has some serious flaws in the interior. The navigation system is terrible and almost impossible to use. The all in one computer system for using most features in the car is also not easy to use. Something simple like changing the air from your head to your feet takes way too many steps to do. The car just feels over engineered. Also, don't believe the maintenance is included sales pitch. I just got my 10,000 mile done and all it covered was an oil change and not rotating and balancing the tires.

Acceleration and driving performance. Luxury feel for long drives.

Scrap the whole computer console and start from scratch. Redo the navigation system to at least match those you can buy over the counter. Go buy an Acura and see how they do it to get an idea of how to do it right.

Great for long drives
By FLBMWDriver

2009 BMW X5 SUV xDrive30i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I just picked up my brand new X5 last month and I am very impressed with it so far. I drive 100+ miles per day so a comfortable ride is very important to me. I had my X5 built and I chose the ventilated seat package which was well worth it. The seats adjust in so many ways and the massage feature for the driver is great! My black sapphire X5 turns heads when its clean and the interior is impressive with the brushed aluminum trim giving it a sporty look. The driving position is great and the car is pretty quiet at 70-80mph on the highway. Also, the premium sound system upgrade sounds great and I also like the iPod interface. I would highly recommend this SUV.

Panoramic sunroof, comfort access, ventilated seat package, premium sound system, xenon headlights, fog lights that shine in direction you are turning in.

Better iDrive (supposed to be on 2010 models), some uneven gaps might need to improve build quality, trim around side windows already looks bad... all models should have chrome trim around windows. Better gas mileage for I-6 engine.

Mixed feelings
By Matthew

2009 BMW X5 SUV xDrive30i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

This is my first SUV, or should I say SAV... what got my attention at the dealership was the exterior styling of this vehicle. Also, having never owned a spacious and roomy vehicle, I thought it was time for a change. What I love about my new X5 is the driving position because you sit up very high and the car has very good visibility all around. I also love the panoramic sunroof. I am not sure how I feel about the leatherette seats... they feel kind of rubbery although they seem very durable. I must say the seats are extremely supportive on long trips and adjust in many ways. I feel BMW should try to improve fuel economy in the gasoline engines as I did not want a diesel.

Bi-Xenon Headlights, corona-rings on headlights, and cornering lights. Driving position. Roomy interior. Panoramic Sunroof. Awesome braking power for a 5,000lb vehicle! Cool shifter. Memory key settings very cool and easy.

Gas mileage. Ease of ingress/egress (running boards get in the way). Bass quality of std. audio system pathetic. LCD screen for iDrive too far out of driver's line of sight. Needs A/C vent center console. Larger included wheels/tires. Add more orange LED interior lighting. Ugly std. steering wheel.