Used 2008 BMW X5 Consumer Reviews - 74 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 BMW X5

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

Second Thoughts
By Maurice Brubaker

2008 BMW X5 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

When I purchased this X5 it was great. Since then I have had 3 GPS systems replaced, the AC replaced. Best of all it has left we stranded twice. Could not even open the lift gate or glove box to get roadside assistance number. For a car of this price the quality is terrible. If I wanted this reliability I would of purchased a Chrysler. Kia makes better cars than this. The worst part is that I have had many BMW's. From a M5 to a 7-Series to a 3-Series. This is the first BMW that I have had a problem with.

The seats are very comfortable considering I paid an extra $1,000. for them.

Better Quality. The AC needs to work better. Very hard to keep the car cool unlike my ML63.

Extremely poor build quality
By grey

2008 BMW X5 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

Extremely poor build quality. it rattles and squeaks, intermittent suspension noises which dealers cannot fix. purchased brand new in 2008 and hardly used. Please stay away from BMW, buy a Toyota spend the rest of the money with your family. Don't make the mistake i made.

handling

build quality, more reliable components

Slow response transmission
By PT

2008 BMW X5 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

The Vehicle has great styling and the comfort seats are very supportive. This is my 3rd X5. The biggest complaint is the transmission. I have taken it to the dealer 3 times for this problem with a little improvement although very short lived.The transmission is always in too high of a gear at slow speeds. Trying to accelerate, the transmission will not downshift without flooring the accelerator pedal which results in a rough downshift after a time delay .My previous X5s had a very responsive transmissions. I have driven the 3 and 5 series vehicles and their transmissions are nothing short of excellent. This is very frustrating and I will not be purchasing another X5.

comfort seats. styling,adaptive headlights

transmission. Controls make simple functions very complicated and unintuitive. Instrument panel needs updating.

Safety defect with BMW X5 4.8i
By Sam Kawa

2008 BMW X5 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

I am a life long owner & loyal fan of BMW, so it is with regret i publish that my BMW X5 2007/8 4.8i almost cost the lives of my family. This BMW has now done 16,000kms (10,000miles), it has a serious electric defect preventing it from accelerating & on occasion stalls. It has been into BMW 3 times for this problem & it is now strike 3 & out for this BMW. My pregnant wife was driving the car with my 11mth old son, when the BMW failed to accelerate & stalled at a major intersection, almost causing a serious accident. We will not be driving this vehicle again. Please note i am a lover of BMW, the older model X5 i had was perfect, however due to the severity of this incident this review is out.

Review of 2007/2008 new model X5's are done to prevent serious accidents.

disappointment
By carol fries

2008 BMW X5 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

Beginning May 15th 2009 the battery went dead 9 times, always when I needed it most, until Nov 13th & the service dept was no help at all. They actually had the salesman deliver it to us on Saturday night Nov 14th saying it was our problem! It was our 3rd X5 & we'd had with no trouble with the others but I fixed the problem myself by buying a Mercedes GL450. bye bye bmw!