Used 2008 BMW X5 Consumer Reviews - 74 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

Dreaded Alternator Bracket Oil Leak
By john arata, jr

2008 BMW X5 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

Just purchased this vehicle with 40,000 miles on her and now its leaking oil. I am being told it is the "Dreaded Alternator Bracket Oil Leak" about 8 to 10 hours in labor to fix a $3 gasket. This is 1 of several problems. $1000 plus dollar repair.... really??? BMW 4.8L V8 has obvious problems and no recall. BMW needS to stand up for their mistakes and make them right. Do yourself a favor and DO NOT BUY A BMW!!!!!

Worst Car I have owned
By coolking

2008 BMW X5 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I have had X5 for about 1.10 years now put at about 30K miles(Normal family use mostly on Highway).
First I have to say this is a drivers car. Fun stops right about here.
Already I have spend $6000 on it. $3000 for random repair and $3000 for regular service at a BMW shop. Cost to own does not even have gallons and gallons of Gas I have put in it yet. City MPG about 12/13 mpg and about 18/19 mpg on highway. A combine score of 15/16 mpg. So doing the math cost to own this car is 7481.25 + $6000 = $13481.25 (lol). Mistake of my life I have to say.
I have heard that they have made this better in 2014, I guess I will never know :)....

Love the X5 but lots of serious issues
By pjchawaii

2008 BMW X5 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

So I've had 4 BMWs in the past 5-6 years and overall really love the brand. Unfortunately the purchase of my X5 has tarnished my otherwise positive view of build quality.

Generally I lease vehicles, but this I chose to purchase with the idea of keeping it for 6-8 years figuring I could justify the $80,000 price if amortized over those years.

The X5 has a lot of complex things about it so I wasn't foolish to think it would be a low maintenance vehicle - but didn't expect : at 39K miles - New A/C ($3500) - New rear struts ($2000), & now - a new TRANSMISSION! $10,000. Seriously, at 40K miles this is a disgrace. . My pampered X5 has sadly failed me. Summary : Extended Warranty.

Size, ride quality, look & feel, handling

Some fit and finish issues. Tail gate (power) rattled badly from the first year of ownership until now, despite repeated attempts to correct. Rubberized / textured interior parts have bubbled and peeled in a car that's been garaged most of its life. Too complex for smaller dealerships that don't know the car intimately to successfully work on without creating further issues.

Great performance and reliability
By jhersey

2008 BMW X5 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

I purchased my 2008 4.8 X5 new.
I now have 75k miles and have not had any major issues.
This car has been a joy to drive and very reliable.

I had one issue with the adaptive headlights, but that was covered under warranty.
I did not purchase an extended warranty and very happy with that decision as it would have been a waste of money.

Consumer reports rates this vehicle low for reliability and my experience says they got this one wrong.
Glad I did not trust their analysis.

My favorite feature is the handling of the vehicle. Super handling in the turns. Acceleration and braking are exceptional. I really appreciate the 7 passenger seating capacity. Note that the third row is only suitable for children 5 - 12, but it works for our family and is one of the primary reasons I purchased and kept the vehicle. I wanted a sports car that had seating capacity.

Only improvement I'd suggest is providing an iPhone interface for controlling the NAV and iDrive features. The iDrive interface is clumsy.

2008 BMW 4.8i X5 Sport Pkg at 5 Yrs, 50K
By keith

2008 BMW X5 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

Strangely, agree with most reviews, + and -.
But overall, happy I bought it new.
Design power was pretty great in 2008, but only OK by 2017 X5 standards. Cars have gotten much faster.
Hitting the throttle is still pure, magnificent pull. Totally trustworthy handling on most pavements of course.
Never leans.
"Heavier" feel than our '04 4.4i X5 Sport which I still prefer - but wife likes '08 better. My '04 X5 is a real trooper and a real sports car.
The fantastic 20" / 21" OEM Dunlops are not readily available and obscenely $$$. Sad to say goodbye.
But replacement Bridgestone run-flats are almost as good, last longer and (whew) half the price. I still like the Bridgestones almost 16K into their still short lives.
These tires are the Dueler H/P Sport RFTs, and at the right pressure levels they are comfortable and relatively high performance.
Battery tends to go low; heavens, don't leave tailgate up or it's gone! TOTALLY worthless rear camera & NAV. Accessory software on this car is 3 on scale of 10.
Minor oil gasket leaks, but garage floor is stays clean so we avoid leak chasing ($$$) as much as possible.
IF you don't always replace rotors along with the pads, brakes squeal inconsolably, and very $$$ with rotors, but PERFECT slowing & stopping.
BMW X5, regardless of year I think, is VERY expensive to own past 50Kmi or so. You will rebalance your 4/40K or 5/50K warranty to zero in the long haul.
So if you want a great car that lasts that way, be prepared to pay for it.