Used 2007 BMW X5 SUV Consumer Reviews - 68 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

Very Disappointed - Definitely not worth the money
By mobettuh

2007 BMW X5 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased a used 2007 BMW X5 less than 1 year ago.
This is my FIRST luxury vehicle & I've always heard GREAT reviews about BMW. Within my first year of ownership, I have spent numerous hours in the BMW Service Department having MAJOR repairs done to this vehicle.
They have replaced the transmission, the radiator, solenoid valve twice, latch on 3rd seat broke off completely, brake fluid flush, and I'm heading back into the service department this week bcuz the CEL is on again for the 3rd time in 7 weeks.
I'm extremely disappointed & would not recommend this vehicle (or any BMW) for purchase.
Not the QUALITY that I thought I was getting for my money.

My favorite feature is that it's "cute" on the outside. BMW service department staff is very nice, but I see them much too often for me to be driving what is supposed to be one of the most reliable and luxurious vehicles on the market.

Quality is not living up to the BMW Brand

Junk! Never again BMW. Just lost another customer
By jas74

2007 BMW X5 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

BMW used to be the signature of performance and reliability. Today at BMW it is all about profits, gone are the days where you could drive your bimmer 100k with no problems. This is our second X5 in two years, as we thought our first was just a one off lemon. Let me warn you!
If you own one of these trucks be prepared to fix it. I don't mean when it hits 100k. I mean 50, 60k!
This last experience sent us over the edge as telescoping wheel motors failed and the tail lamp malfunction was reported on the computer and BMW said $150.00 to replace just the light and over a grand for the steering wheel motors
Whatever I said and traded it in. Do yourself a favor a buy a Infiniti or Lexus!

Handling and style

Reliability for minor parts to last longer. BMW is losing mid-high end customers due to poor quality parts and lack of addressing issues.

Falls apart after 50k Miles!
By alcapitalist

2007 BMW X5 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

There were bugs the first year or two but the dealer would provide a loaner so it was not a problem.
The dealership staff was courteous and helpful.
The problems really started after 50k miles.
I missed a flight when the electrical system went haywire.
Turns out, it did not like syncing with my phone. So no bluetooth phone to car now.
Then around 60k my radiator went out (>$1k to fix).
71k my water pump, solenoid valve, hood shocks (never remember them working) and hood latch replaced ($2,291).
Went out on road full of curves and hills but vehicle won't let you drive it if it thinks something is wrong.
Very dangerous situation resulted.
Had to sit on steep angle side of road.

I paid for and ordered the vehicle in December of 2006 with the features I wanted. It was delivered in Feb 2007. I truly enjoyed my vehicle so long as it was in warranty. Comfortable, great all wheel drive and handling. Excellent performance.

Reliability and not trapping the driver in a dangerous situation. Vehicle will not let you drive more than a few feet when certain error codes occurs. Drive disengaged on curvy 2 lane highway heavily traveled by logging trucks. Gas Mileage on sticker is optimistic. I accepted the radiator as a fluke. German Engineering right? But after this last incident, I am convinced the parts used are not of sufficient quality either by design, or incompetence. My friends who own the Lexus, Infinity and Acura SUV's don't have these problems. And yes, I had all recommended maintenance completed and still do.

Total Electrical Meltdown, 2007 BMW X5
By james230

2007 BMW X5 SUV 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

On 13 July, 2011, with only 56,201 miles, our BMW X5 suffered what an independent BMW auto repair shop later diagnosed as a “total electrical meltdown involving almost all powertrain components and data bus system.”
Symptoms upon startup that morning included a Level Control System malfunction light, a Transmission malfunction warning, a Parking Brake malfunction warning, a Passenger Restraint malfunction warning, an All-Wheel Drive, DSC, ABS, and Emergency ABV malfunction warning, as well as rapid windshield wiper movement and an intermittent engine start button.

We purchased the BMW based on its reputation for quality, and we paid much more for this vehicle than we would have for something like a Honda Odyssey or a Toyota Sienna. We were willing to pay more with the understanding that, during my long and frequent absences in the service of our country, my wife and family would have a reliable and safe vehicle. I feel this decision to purchase your product was a mistake, and one I never intend to repeat. The vehicle was only 6,000 miles outside of the 50,000 mile warranty, and yet none of the $1,781.31 invoice was covered by BMW – it was covered solely by my savings.

Major Disappointment
By CJ

2007 BMW X5 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

After owning a Landcruiser, we were ready for something a bit smaller, with better fuel economy. The X5 is a beautiful car and a dream to drive unless it's in the shop. Between 'check engine' lights and 'computer updates', we will sell this car as soon as it is out of the shop - for the 5th time this year alone. Even if we could afford the price tag of our almost monthly visits to BMW, we cannot afford the unreliability and inconvenience of this vehicle. When the car broke down on a major highway last week, the dealership told us the vehicle was "confused", there was nothing wrong with it and we were good to go. Less than 48 hours later, on another highway, it broke down again.

Beautiful vehicle. Very comfortable seating. Handles well.

Unreliability and BMW's lack of concern with regard to these problems are a great disappointment. I think there are innate flaws with the internal components of this car.