Used 2005 BMW X5 Consumer Reviews - 125 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 BMW X5

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

This is the best- handling SUV
By RAW

2005 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Still driving this 2005 in 2010, and intend on keeping it. This is the best- handling SUV - perfect size, balance, pick-up. I like it better than the 2006 model, which is wider and feels less nimble. If the seats are too hard for you, buy a Buick. They are just right for a sporty drive. And personally, I love the sound and feel of the heavy 'clunk' of the doors. Heavy they are, safe they are, also. Yet the X5 4.4i never makes you think you're driving a tank (hello Range Rover!). I've never driven any other SUV that had the handling characteristic of this X5. BMW got that one just right.

Power reserve, you can always kick it up a notch and zip past a slow poke if necessary. Solid drive feel, great seats, ample room (6'3), panorama sunroof, flat folding rear seats, adaptive headlights, great build quality & interior fit & finish. Still tight after 5 years. Bluetooth phone.

iPod adapter can't be integrated into onboard stereo (can't control iPod through steering wheel controls).

Gotta love it
By bimmer girl

2005 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Our car now has 90,000 miles on it, and I still smile every time I drive it. It is so responsive, and tight around the corners, that I often forget that I'm in a huge SUV. I was almost ran off the road one day with my 2 kids in the back, and I fought to keep the vehicle on the road, but the BMW handled so well, that we got back on track and on our way. I truly believe that in any other SUV we would have tipped and crashed. People keep mentioning gas mileage, but they forget they bought a performance car! Indy cars and jet planes don't get great mileage either! I think it's pretty good- we average about 22 and got 28 on a long highway trip!

Sunroof, comfort, just fun to drive.

The soft plastic handles peel.

Great Car
By goodx5

2005 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

We purchased this new in 2005 and have 110,000 miles on it now. Was in the shop a few times right after we bought it, but it hasn't been back (other than scheduled maintenance) since. The car is incredibly reliable and is as solid as a rock. You can tell the build quality and safety by the weight of the doors. Great heated seats, panorama sunroof, and comfort. Holds up to wear and tear very well driving around three busy sons. Definitely would buy another.

Sunroof, heated seats/steering wheel, leather, pick- up.

Sun glare on radio display.

Like it a lot!
By JAXman

2005 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Got a heck of a deal compared to blue book pricing - This car has been great. Love the sleek design, big sunroof and great handling. Unfortunately I've already learned that it performs well in side impact. The fuel economy is not great but a little better than advertised. I think that on the highway I average about 25mpg. In the city about 18. If you drive it nice it's not terrible. Lots of room for all passengers and luggage. This car really is about as close to perfect as I could hope for - I think when I trade I will do so for a 2010 X5 Diesel in 2-3 years. Woo hoo for more fuel economy.

Sun Roof, Steering wheel controls, Seat Warmer, Steering Wheel Warmer

Wish my bluetooth phone was able to be linked. Wish I had the navigation. I am going to purchase an after market nav unit with bluetooth as soon as I have 2000 extra bucks.

"Certified" means nothing
By sad customer

2005 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is my first BMW to ever own and was super excited when we were told it was ours. However, after being told several times that when you buy "certified" it is like buying brand new. After 1 month, brake pads are grinding. After 3 months, oil, brake, and coolant lights all come on. The motor for the mirrors breaks and to top it all off...the BMW logo on the front of the car falls right off. I do live in Tx and I know it's hot, but really? I am trying to get rid of it now. Oh, and the best part, it did qualify as a "Cash for Clunker" vehicle. Great!

It has the name "BMW."

There are not enough characters to state my improvements.