Used 2005 BMW X5 SUV Consumer Reviews - 125 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

My LAST BMW
By mark635

2005 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Which is unfortunate, since this is the 6th BMW I've owned...now my last.

Purchased this X5 Certified Pre-Owned which basically amounts to at least being able to drive around in a newer model BMW just about every month for the NUMEROUS times I had my X5 in the shop...literally a week after purchase it was in service (bought from an authorized BMW dealer...not that that means anything nowadays).

So far replaced--transmission, alternator, rear lights, roof trim, electronic dash, panorama sunroof fixed (not replaced), xenon headlamp.
The worst part is that it takes THREE visits for every one issue...never done right the first time.
Oh...and BMW charges $50 a pop for CPO repairs.

The ride, the handling, the power considering the vehicle's weight, BMW styling of course.

A lot of things....I think the '05 4.4 model is a complete POS.

Total LEMON, will never buy BMW again
By purdue_flunkie

2005 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Spent more time in the shop than on the road. Very cheaply made, tons of Chinese plastic.
Engine misfires, coolant leaks, vacuum leaks, broken sunroof, door handles, door windows, and even cup holders broke… just to name a few issues during the 4th and 5th year of ownership. BEWARE repairs and parts are extremely overpriced and time consuming.
Other than reliability and dependability, powertrain performs very well and acceleration is impressive considering the car’s weight. However Xdrive sucks, yes it can pull you out of a deep snow, but when it comes to cornering on a wet and/or icy surfaces it performs much worse than FWD vehicles. Summary: fun to drive while new, falls apart after 50k

lemon x5 4.8is
By ak

2005 BMW X5 SUV 4.8is AWD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

This is my third BMW and I would not go for BMW again. Sometime the back door locks won't open and we cannot open the back door from inside or outside. Kids can be trap inside the car unless they climb to the front seat. The steering wheel get stiff from time to time. Self leveling light is always on. In the winter the lock freeze easily thus impossible to open or close. The motor rattles too much on a cold days. I went to the dealers many times and they have no clue what is going on. The computer cant pick anything up. This is a 80 k truck and it made like crap. I certainly wouldn't try another BMW again. All German car don't seem to know how to design electronic properly.

Leather seats, inside and outside design. The drive when it is working properly. Which is only 75% of the time.

FIX the problem and acknowledge the electronic faulty system. Fire all engineers that design the electronic system and revamp the whole BMW concept. I have had 3 BMW and all of them has electronic issues.

I Will Never Buy Another BMW
By wantmyfordback

2005 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I bought mine Certified Pre-Owned which I've come to find out means nothing. I had always dreamed of a luxury car and was thrilled to drive off the lot with it. Since then I have been so disappointed. Constant problems with the Nav, warning lights coming on, lighter fuse busting, Blutooth issues and worst of all -when I accidentally locked my keys in the car w/ my dog inside, BMW Roadside Assistance told me that it was "highly unlikely" that the locksmith could open it (this happens a lot they said) and that I would have to wait 48 hrs for a key to be made or just break the window. Well, oviously, had to break the window. It was $900 to fix. I'm over BMW. P.S. Replacement keys are $225.

car hugs the road, feels substantial, heated seats are so great!

gas mileage, computer system is way glitchy, Roadside Assistance program is really kind of half-assed, needs a fail-safe way to get in if you accidentally get locked out other than breaking a window (!?!), service costs should be reduced, needs lock buttons on doors, interior design is a bit odd

Never Again
By Infiniti G

2005 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Creature comforts are very nice and fun to drive but horribly unreliable. At 42,000 miles started to sound like a diesel, alternator bearings bad and then completely failed. Cheap oem crimp style hose clamp on transmission recovery bottle failed which is also positioned directly above alternator.Dealer service technicians incorrectly diagnosed as having a bad high pressure power steering hose.Found out they wanted 1500 for repair and I towed it back home to fix myself for $150.Eats break pads and rotors for lunch,repl'd with better aftermarket.Brake pad sensor is poor design and you must replace sensor at pad change or your brake pad warning light will stay illuminated.

Very comfortable and fun to drive

Engine quality and craftsmanship is horrible, especially compared to my Infiniti.