Used 2003 BMW X5 Consumer Reviews - 232 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 BMW X5

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

X5 4.6
By albie alphin

2003 BMW X5 4.6is AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

Fun to drive, very fast. Living in Boston where it is full of annoying potholes it is tough on the suspension. Year round Toyo Prox tires are the way to go! I am getting bored now so I am purchasing some Dinan products to enhance performance and sound.

Acceleration, handling, sound system, aggressive stance, 20 inch rims with WIDE tires.

Nav is horrible, that's it though.

X5 Boy!!!
By X5 Boy!!!

2003 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my X5 as a certified Pre-Owned from my local BMW dealer. My X5 is my first BMW. I love the handling, acceleration and reliability. It is solid and safe on the road and at freeway speed. It has all the benifits that a brand new one would have. It comes with the 100,000 extended warranty and free maintenance service, so I pay nothing for all services. After the first three weeks of my purchase, I had problems with the lights in the dashboard and the transmission, so I took it for a free repair.

Sports, premium, cold packages and loading board.

Better sound system that is comparable to the Nakamichi or Mark Levinson systems that Lexus has. Gas mileage is low. I get average of 16 mpg in city and 24 on freeway. The vehicle is heavy so low gas mileage is expected.

X5 Review from Kenya
By James Wachira

2003 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I love the vehicle. I imported from Singapore with 38000 Km on the odometer. I enjoy the car. However, I have experienced two problems that I have not been able to solve. One the radio/CD just went off whilst driving and havent been able to put it on since. Today I switched on the car and could not start, the computer display indicated code. A few times the boot has refused to open, but it would later open after a day or so, seems to be an electronic problem Can someone provide some solutions on this and share solutions if had experienced same thing. Unfortunately I dont have a manual for the car

Steering wheel volume control. Seat memory. Radio/CD when it was working.

Need a do it yourself kit especially to trouble shoot electronic failures

2003 BMW X5
By autooracle

2003 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Great car. Just normal wear and tear maintenenace issues. Handling is great. Yes it's an SUV, not a Porsche. Fuel economy is fine for what it is. Performance out of the 3.0 is all you would need unless you are towing.

Our particular vehicle has manual knobs for the climate control. Love it! Love the simple fact that when you lock the vehicle from the driver's side, the windows and sunroof close.

Diesel option.

Great design - poor build quality
By deniska

2003 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

My X5 (2003, 3.0L V6) has been great for the first 2 years, but then literally started to fall apart. During the next 2 years I had ~45 visits to the certified dealers to repair constantly failing electrical equipment. Locks, censors, numerous bulbs, dash board panel, electrical mirrors, alarm system are just a few of the problems that the car had during 2 year period. All repairs were covered by warranty, but the car spent more than 60 days in repair shop. Finally I got tired of constant problems and sold it.

Solid handling at high speeds (drives more like a car, rather than SUV); great looks.

Make is more reliable!!! Current build quality is a joke!