Used 2003 BMW X5 Consumer Reviews - 232 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 BMW X5

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

Bad vehicle
By Xavier

2003 BMW X5 4.6is AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

Since I purchased this car it has had nothing but problems. The car has spent more time in the shop than in my garage. Every week is something wrong with this car. I have spent over 9k in repairs and that's not including what the extended warranty company has paid. I am very disappointed in BMW, this car is not the ultimate machine they make it to be.

none so far

engine, transmission, durable sensors

Mixed bag
By francious

2003 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Performance, appearance, gas mileage are all excellent. The interior trim is not holding up and the controls are terrible. AM radio reception is terrible and the controls on the steering wheel are much too complicated in comparison to the Mercedes and Honda I drive. Cruise Control has 4 buttons with symbols and must be actuated whenever you start the vehicle. The sound system has no dial to go from stations only a button to advance. I would never buy another BMW. I'll stick to Mercedes and Hondas. This is a fun to drive ride and it is a shame they let the little things get in the way of satisfaction for people like me.

Clam shell hatch, rear seats that adjust. Long adjustment on front seats. Appearance. Acceleration and reasonable gas mileage for an SUV.

Simplify controls. Put in a decent sound system and antenna. Better quality plastics and faux wood in the interior. I keep cars for 150,000 miles and I don't expect the interior to get shabby.

Fun vs. Frustration
By uncbears34

2003 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I have owned trucks and SUVs all my life and I have yet to own one that is as much fun to drive as the X5. You pass other drivers like they're in reverse and it corners and brakes like a BMW should. It's one of the best looking vehicles on the road and no matter how hard you push it, it wants more. However, every other month another sensor or display light would go off or hose will leak or seal break and I'd get hit with another $500 bill (at a minimum) to fix something that just shouldn't go wrong (door locks, airbag light, etc.). It was always something. If you have the patience and another vehicle to rely on, it's a great car. If it's your only car, check your roadside assistance.

Looks, comfort, performance, features/amenities. An absolute pleasure to drive. Everything a car/truck/SUV should strive to be when running properly.

Reliability. It's just not that good at the day-to-day stuff. For the purchase price, many of the kinks should've been worked out.

No competition!
By MTodd

2003 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

My X5 4.4i is the best of 20 cars I have owned! It pulls my wakeboard boat with ease and looks great doing it. The cold weather pkg even finds it uses in the summer (heated seats on cold lake nights)! This SUV drives and rides like a car, any my friends with Tahoes and Armadas get jealous after driving it. Doesn't have the most storage in the back, but enough to take camping and haul the kids (and their stuff) around. It has been a pure pleasure to own and to drive. I look forward to upgrading to new 2007+ body style and the third row seat for the kids' friends. I have never met another X5 owner who did not love their car. So, go get one already. :)

Front and rear heated seats, climate control, multi-direction seats, leather surface, and the oil change indicator since it runs synthetic and can go for 10,000+ miles per oil chg.

Larger trunk area (addressed with '07 model), third row seat (also addressed in '07 model).

Teutonic titan
By browntrout

2003 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

My x5 has 75k on it. I use it for working in 7 counties in norcal. With the exception of a sometimes humorous glitch with the speaker telephone, it has not had one single repair except consumables. The engine and transmission have performed flawlessly, and on the rare occasion that I have had it in really serious snow, it has been a panzer tank. This is my 4th BMW, and I have had two Saabs, two Mercedes, a Volvo, a Trooper, and a Grand Cherokee--not counting beaters when I was a youngster. Nothing is even close. Fuel economy is great when compared to other v8 suvs. The Grand Cherokee was an outhouse on wheels comparatively.

Looks, performance, handling and reliability.

$2500 for a tow package? Come on. Insane.