Used 2002 BMW X5 SUV Consumer Reviews - 108 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 BMW X5 SUV

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

It's still a BMW
By Josh

2002 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

We purchased our X5 to haul a family, and it's definitely an interesting compromise between sport and activity/utility. Agile for an SUV, when you drive it like a BMW, it's rewarding. The 3.0 lacks some punch for a car of this weight, but the mileage and agile handling still make it a good choice. BMW didn't package the X5 as a minivan substitute; it's still lacking the big-gulp capable cup holders and clever use of interior storage of dedicated family haulers, but again, this is a compromise when a driver needs a family car.

Even standard features are great: HID headlights, rain-sensing wipers, privacy screens in the back, and of course the handling dynamics that put all but the sportiest SUVs (and many cars) to shame

The Germans don't approve of cup-holders, and the X5 is still more driver-focused than comfort-focused. The new models address the 6 cylinder's power need, but it still seems the mileage could be a little better.

Good but not Great
By Hedgy

2002 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I have this X5 with Sport Package as a compromise between owning a fast sedan and owning a practical family car. I save on insurance in MA by not having two cars. I have not been disappointed. It will go well over 120 mph when I want and it tows the boat to the cottage a couple times a summer too.

Acceleration and handling. For an SUV this almost handles like a sedan. Nice interior. Great head and leg room, I am tall, and it has memory steering column, so it is easy to switch back and forth between my wife and me.

Steering with the 4.4i is a bit heavy and isolated feeling from the road. 3.0i feels better, but I wanted the big engine. The X5 could use more cargo space.

Convincing my wife
By Norm

2002 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

This has been a great, but not troublefree, vehicle. Our first BMW. I had to convince my wife that she would enjoy this SAV. Now I cannot get her out of it. It has never stranded us, but we have gone to our dealer several times answering the "service engine soon" idiot light. This light has alerted us to a loose gas cap AND a bad catalytic converter. Both on the same idiot light. My wife uses automatic. I use manual shifting. It reminds me of my first car--a stick shift way back in the 1950s. Great cornering and passing power.

4.4 liter engine. 5 speed manual/auto optional transmission. The two piece tailgate. Great fit and feel all around. In and out.

A way too small sun visor. We live in the desert and the sun is always getting me from the side. Visor too short when swung around to the side window. More specific warning lights.

Best Sports Car Amongst SUVs
By Ronbo

2002 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

For an SUV this has been a great car for an auto sports enthusiast. Original tires (Michelins) were the worst thing about the vehicle. Once I put on good tires it has handled even better dry/wet/snow and nothing else got worse.

Power and handling.

Switch to a differnt tire. Make interior more ergodynamic. Add more and better placed cup holders.

Better vehicle to be designed yet
By TerminatorX5

2002 BMW X5 SUV 4.6is AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

This is my 3rd BMW and 5th in the family. Once you drive a bimmer, you don't want to drive anything else. I got the top of the line X5, fully loaded, OEM navigation, OEM TV, DVD changer, screen in the back, bluetooth, hatch, reverse camera, AV jack in the back, heated seats all around, integrated V1 detector, voice recognition. Mechanically this is not a car, this is a beast; I have pulled 140 MPH on this car, and it did not even shake or rattle. It even felt like it lowered itself to the ground; I know it has automatically adjust ground clearance. I had to back out, as it was too scary. I had driven in many countries, and can't trade a BMW for anything else other than another BMW.

340 stock HP, handling on dry and wet pavement, 20" OEM rims with monster tires, negative camber that helps in tight, high-speed turns, huge vented brakes at 4 corners. Styling is another one - the style is about 7-8 years old, and still turns the heads. The interior is spartan and to the point.

This is gas guzzler. I get about 10-13 MPG city and about 15-18 MPG highway. This is the price of performance. Navigation maps are not available for half of the countries that I drive in. Could benefit from more room in the back seat area and the trunk. Battery in the key is not charged by the car.