Used 2001 BMW X5 Consumer Reviews - 105 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

The best SUV ever made
By dwayne

2001 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Don't buy another SUV until you check out the BMW x5. It's fast comfy and fun to drive. Its excellent on fuel. Good on long trips and is spacious. I am 6.5 feet tall and I fit in it fine. No problems with my BMW x5 3.0 yet

The entire car

Nothing it's perfecto

2001 X5 Lemon?
By mikesheridan

2001 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have had my 3.0 X5 since it was new and have had very many mechanical and electrical problems. Replaced every window regulator at least once. Cam shart position sensors replaced. Eats brakes. AC went out just as soon as the warranty was up. Wiring harness had to be replaced because the engine would stall in turns. Out of warranty repair even though BMW knew about the issue. The paint is peeling in places the sun doesn't shine. Not a joke, it is peeling between the doors, under the hood and in very, very strange places. Another issue BMW knew about but did nothing to let anyone know. I love it but can't afford it any longer. My next car??? Not a BMW!!

All I can say is "Wow"!
By ExAlaska

2001 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Who knew an "SAV" could be so much fun. The highway mpg with the 3.0 is fantastic--I've gotten 26 or better, which is most of my driving. Around town drops it quite a bit, but still averaging 17-19 which is real world good. Incredibly comfortable and feels totally safe. My "green" girlfriend would rather take the BMW than her PC VW :)

Interior comfort, AWD stability, BMW handling. Powerful brakes. Great on cross country trips.

Have to continually tighten up the brake light bulbs for some reason. Cupholders stink. Hard to keep wheels clean from brake-dust, but that means the brakes are really doing their job.

I'm In Love
By mom68

2001 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

We just bought this BMW, which is our first jump from Volvo into any other vehicle in over 15 years. We were blown away by the performance of the engine, the luxury of the interior and how an SUV (don't care if BMW calls it an SAV or not, it's still an SUV) actually handles like a car. God willing, we're going to remain BMW owners for a long time. We bought an extended warranty at the dealer, as we've read here at Edmunds that repairs can become an issue. If you find a good used one like we did our pristine "new" x5, buy it. I'm blown away each time I get in the car at how well it's made. Even down to the alarm key. We loved BMW so much, we ran out and bought a 740i for the husband the next weekend.

The driving experience on the highway (we drive mostly highway miles) is really exceptional. The kids have the DVD system in the rear and I can still enjoy music in the front part of the cabin. The rear climate controls! The netting in the rear windows! Wow! Great attention to detail BMW.

As everyone notes, fix the cup holders, making the two in front usable for two cups. Cargo room lacks a bit, but honestly driving this x5 is an absolute joy.

Great Vehicle
By dustin

2001 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I have a Carrera and I bought my X5 as a second car for more room for putting stuff in. I absolutely love this car. The ride is a little firm and it is super fun to drive. The car feels heavy but the engine is more than powerful enough. The interior of the car is very roomy and the legroom for the front and rear passengers is huge. The back has a very comfortable and wide bench seat. The car is a little stockier than most SUVs so the rear cargo is a little small but it has been more than enough for me. I have had no mechanical issues since I purchased it 10 months ago. I highly recommend this vehicle.

Power, interior, looks.

The interior is a little creaky. Around town it is a bit of a hog on gas.