Used 2001 BMW X5 Consumer Reviews - 105 Car Reviews | Edmunds

By abdo2

TMV FTOM 9.434

Horrible quality and workmanship
By peteryuhu

2001 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

We bought this used from a private party who was the second owner. All the maintenance and repairs were done by the dealership. It was welled cared for. All I can say, from day 1, it is a lemon. We got for $1K less than private party price, but it is a LEMON. The interior design is great, but the quality of items (door handles-sun shades-back tailgate-etc) feels like the cheap made in China toys that break the same day you open it. This is our second BMW and thought it would be the same quality, our 2001 525i has never had any problems, just routine $65 synthetic oil changes, and normal brake replacements. The X5 is horrible, DO NOT BUY ONE. I should have just bought me a new Odyssey.

AWD, rides high like a truck

how about quality control? I think the plant in Spartanburg, SC forgot what QC was and not to mention they forgot reliability means. Typical "American vehicle" built in the 80-90s.

Disappointed
By Dave Isaacson

2001 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

6 months after purchase driver power window failed to operate, I was told poor design. Broke again then pass. Side front failed then pass. Rear failed. Charged for last three. At 65,000 miles right tail lights quit. Bad socket. Both front axles failed replaced. Self leveling system failed. Total cost over 5,000 usd. At 77,000 ignition coil failed. This car has never been off road, regularly serviced and garage kept. Currently at 95,000 miles have cooling problem [ I think blown intake gasket ] and 1 maybe 2 more coils, driver window will not close again, front fan inop, and many dash digits out. I say never buy 1st model year not even a BMW. No to BMW of sa. I have a lemon

Radio

Get qualified techs and use quality parts to start with!

THE WORST SUV YOU WILL EVER BUY!!!
By Audra

2001 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I bought this SUV loved the design and it is a fun SUV to drive although the car is horrible. It has been in the shop for countless issues...which are major .. water pump went out had to be towed, radiator went out, numerous sensors that won't go off even after going to the shop for repair, engine misses at low speeds, the car is very unreliable and I do not feel safe driving it. I will never own another BMW ever! Too costly and not enough reliability. Constant headache of what's going to happen next. I have a huge folder of all it's repairs...that is ridiculous considering what I paid for it. I am selling it tomorrow hopefully the warning lights will stay off until then. DON'T BUY!

nice design....

better engine, better quality with less repairs!!!!!

Best SUV ever!
By Montelimar

2001 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Definitely the best vehicle I ever had! No problems at all, just oil changes, brakes and tires. The engine's still strong and feels like it is still new.

Performance and handling, nothing drives better than a BMW.

Nothing!