2019 BMW X3 M40i Consumer Reviews - 4 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2019 BMW X3 M40i Consumer Reviews

M40i 3.0L 6-cyl. Turbo AWD 8-speed Automatic - (4 reviews )

Drives like a sports car, but benefits of SUV
By Louis

2019 BMW X3 M40i M40i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Traded my 2018 Audi S4 in for this a few weeks ago. I needed more space, higher clearance (I live in DC and roads are awful), and a relatively smaller SUV for city. At the same time, I did not want to sacrifice performance. And the M40i certainly delivers all of that! It is an incredible mix of fun and practicality.

You get what you pay for - thankfully!
By Pete from North East Kansas

2019 BMW X3 M40i M40i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

This is a very expensive vehicle, but it appears to be alone in its class. Quality of finish, materials, thoughtfulness of design, sheer performance, and great handling all complement the stylish exterior. While test driving a bunch of SUVs and wagons, decided to try BMW in the hopes of being treated better than we were a decade ago. Drove to Topeka Kansas dealership, after a brief email exchange, they had pre-staged three cars, an X3 M40i, an X3 xdrive 4 cylinder and a VW Golf R. We started in the 40i, and only test drove the others out of a sense of duty! Manager suggested we take a break for lunch, take any one of the cars with us, and come back when we were ready. WOW -- they obviously believe their car sells itself, and they are right. We bought the car we test drove - equipped almost like we had special ordered it. Unbelievable acceleration, very good handling for a 2 ton SUV, wonderful interior appointment and finish, more knobs and buttons than we know what to do with. In fact, BMW offers an Encore - bring your new BMW back to the dealership and they assign a BMW associate to go over all of the features of the car, at a time of your convenience. Our encore took nearly 3 hours, and included a tour of the service area, the parts desk, and answering all of our questions about the x3. Stumped our encore associate, and BMWUSA who she rang up on her tablet, only when we asked how to repeat play a music track - they could not figure that one out! Fabulous, but expensive, vehicle, great customer service - highly recommend this car, and Topeka BMW-VW.

BMW revives the Ultimate Driving Machine
By Brad J Shoptaw

2019 BMW X3 M40i M40i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I've owned several recent BMWs -- '08 335xi, '11 M3, '12 328xi, '15 428xi convertible. I've seen first-hand the transition that BMW has made away from the core principles that brought them success -- steering feel, responsive engines, and quality materials -- in an attempt to modernize and gain more market share. I'm very happy to say that the '19 BMW X3 m40i returns to its roots with a truly thrilling automobile. The steering feel is heavier, and more responsive than any BMW in the last 10 years, and it doesn't feel over-boosted or fake. The engine is amazingly quick and versatile (0-60 in just 4.6 secs), changing on the fly with a flick of the driving experience switch from Eco Pro, to Comfort, to Sport, and then Sport Plus. The exhaust note (along with great crackles and pops) is awesome in Sport/Sport Plus modes, but can be dialed back to "civil" in Comfort or Eco Pro. But after 5 minutes of feeling like you're driving an M3/M4, you remember, "wait, this is an SUV -- and I can pick up the kids from a soccer match, or grab tons of supplies from Home Depot without a problem." The versatility is fantastic. The Vernasca leather interior with contrasting stitching is top-notch, and even the dashboard is stitched to make the interior look and feel much more expensive. The Driver-Assistance packages are a must-have in today's world of distracted drivers. The full "Dynamic Digital Instrument Cluster" included in the Executive Package is gorgeous, and BMW's implementation is much more refined than Audi's Virtual Cockpit, IMO. The gesture controls and simulated 360 degree camera views border on gimmicks, but they are fun to show others and do come in handy at times. All in all, BMW has exceeded expectations with the X3 m40i, and I now consider this the best BMW that I've ever owned -- it's pretty much all of the things that you'd want in a sports car wrapped into an SUV. What a win!

Best Vehicle I've Owned
By Nate Berg

2019 BMW X3 M40i M40i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I've always had American made cars and got my first BMW in 2014, a CPO 2011 335d which I loved. Having been truck guy and and small SUV guy going into the 335d was a big change but worth the change for several years. Lately, I started missing something to tow a boat and as the kids have grown needed a bit more leg room in the back. My wife recently bought an X2 and loves it. It got me thinking about getting back into an SUV again. The X2 is great but not quite big enough and missing the true luxury feel I have become accustomed too, it's more sporty and fun. I looked at the 2018 540i and the 2019 X5. The 540i was beautiful but a little more car than I needed. The X5 is also nice but again, it was just too much. The X5 certainly rides different than the 540i and my 335d. I've never like the X3's until I discovered the revamped it in 2018. I began to do more research and saw the M40i version and positive after positive reviews from both professionals and owners. I decided to give it a drive after considering leaving BMW for Audi,, Lexus and even a Ford Explorer. It took about 2 minutes of the test drive to become hooked on this SUV and the next day I decided to buy one. This thing is fantastic, great MPG even considering the power under the hood, its comfortable and rides almost like the 540i but not as tank like as the X5. It's perfect! Job well done to BMW. Having driven several loaners from years 2012-2016 I was not impressed with the overall quality from BMW "ultimate driving machine" even from my 2011 335d which was a true sport feel. But the engineers must have taken a hint and decided to get back to their BMW roots and have created a fantastic machine in the 2018-2019 X3. If you are in the market for a luxury SUV/Crossover just stop looking and go get one of these awesome vehicles. I can honestly say this is the best vehicle I have ever owned.