Used 2013 BMW X3 Consumer Reviews - 20 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2013 BMW X3

View reviews for a specific X3 model:

Reliability , reliability , reliability .....
By mo78

2013 BMW X3 xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

It's shocking that BMW can't make reliable car for the money they charge. This wk will be my fourth visit to the dealership for drivers restraint malfunction . They don't seem to know whats going on with this car . I have seen similar reliability reviews and I just wonder in the engineers at BMW read them !!!!!!! It's also statistically higher than other competitors or Japanese cars.

Fun to drive

Reliability !!!!! Very disappointing ! I think I will switch to Acura or Lexus

2nd review
By wittyj

2013 BMW X3 xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

We now have about 12,000 miles on the X3. BEST utility vehicle I have ever owned. Fuel economy is right at 26.5 p tank. Have gotten as high as 32mpg when cautious? And this was obtained with mid grade. To date there are NO maint. Issues at all. Flawless vehicle and American made. Storm grey and oyster interior are cool in summer here in GA. As for the auto shut off....was rough at first but at about four thousand miles the process smoothed out totally. And it does help save fuel.

As mentioned in the previous review the storage just left of the steering wheel fits a mid size 9mm. I like the run flats for the extra security when my wife has the car. We also have a 535i GT with run flats. The only people complaining about run flats are the children that write for the various car mags. For us real people they do a great job of convenience and protection.

Better sun visors, darker tint on the windows......that's about it. And when you order your new X3.....pick it up at the factory. That is a wonderful experience. W are going back for a third time in July of this year. WELL WORTH your time and I guarantee you will learn and love it.

Engine, engine, and engine, but that's all.
By acurafan3

2013 BMW X3 xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Drove BMW 328i for 5 years, now X3 35i.

The engine is just amazing! Great acceleration. 8 speed transmission is so smooth that you can only tell changing gears by the exhaust note.

Praised by many reviewers as "Fun to drive", "drive like a car", maybe true compare to other SUV, but it's not even close comparing to 3-series sedan. The 328i feels like it's glued to the road and have this solid damping of road roughness, but the X3 is wobbly and makes you feel every little bump. but to be fair, that's the case for all SUVs. I guess that's what you have to give up for a more practical suv.

Update:
A few years passed, getting used to the ride now. It's still very solid, no major repairs, some small issues through:

1. AC starts to behaves weirdly, sometime it cant be turned off, need to get that checked;
2. Driver side window started to get this clunky noise when rolled down;
3. Tire sensor failed to warn low pressure tire, ended up replacing the factory tire sooner then needed;

It's a practical car, accelerates fast by SUV standard, but I really miss driving the little 3-series.

WOW sports car with a back pack!
By msbeanz

2013 BMW X3 xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Bought this in alpine white on black and I call it my new spaceship. I also test drove the 3L engine but the 2L seemed lighter and much more responsive, not to mention for '13 both models have the same horsepower and torque! I traded in a Nissan Juke which was truly just a joke, super small, not safe, tiny 9 gal gas tank, no hatch space for a big grocery trip unless you put both rear seats down etc.. so this was a giant upgrade with absolutely no regrets!!! I wasnt a huge fan of run flats due to their cost if you even run over a nail, but i'm starting to be a fan of how thick they are for any bumps in the road, you feel practically nothing! To assure myself, I bought the extra tire warranty.

Back up camera and sensors, mirrors fold in with one button ( otherwise I wouldnt fit into my garage) panoramic sun roof! wow cant wait for my baby to be born and check that out! Good size gas tank, all the safety features, and just plain weight and build of the body, they know how to make a strong sturdy machine. Run flats are very dense so you feel hardly any bumps or holes in the road. I love that you can play with the nav or go on the internet while driving, most cars only let you while you are stopped. Great entertainment for my hubby while I drive :)

The start/stop function is interesting to say the least, have to still get used to it. Thankfully it has an off button should I get tired of it, but you have to press it every time you start the car to turn this function off. My suggestion would be to have it shut off at 5sec not 3sec, but it does save gas if you can handle the slight jerk every time before you accelerate. Why the unlock button is in the middle of the dash is odd since the rest of the door/window buttons are on the side panel. The shifter is also something to get used to, to park you press a button, same for the E brake. Not all models come with key less entry! What a shame BMW! No Sirius/XM either! really for 48K? come on!

Expensive, but you get what you pay for
By tostig

2013 BMW X3 xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Traded in my old 2003 BMW X5 for a shiny new 2013 BMW X3 28i.
It doesn't have quite the build quality of the X5, but on the other hand, doesn't cost $80,000 either.
Road feel, handling, steering, and general sportiness/fun are outstanding.
The 28i 4 cyllinder turbo is surprisingly powerful and capable.
Absolutely love the interior and all the tech gadgets (sat nav, bluetooth, large computer screen, whole music library on hard disk, etc etc).
Very upscale appointments and nice touches throughout.
Kind of a cross between an SUV and a sport sedan, for those who want both and are willing to pay a premium to have them both embodied within the same vehicle.

Road feel - that solid, planted, quality feeling that's hard to describe. Steering. Surprisingly great mileage (I'm getting 30 highway in this heavy crossover - very happy about that). Interior appointments.

Wind noise is pretty high over 50 mph in mine, could really use some more sound insulation. Some of the tech only works with iPhone and not with Android. There's some quirkiness with where the switches are located - the trunk opener is near the floor and very hard to reach from the driver's seat. Other than that, it's pretty much great all around. I would buy it again, and would recommend it to any friend. You do get what you pay for.