Used 2008 BMW X3 SUV Consumer Reviews - 42 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 BMW X3 SUV

3.0si 3.0L 6-cyl. AWD 6-speed Manual - (42 reviews )

BMW, never again
By Ken Hardy

2008 BMW X3 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have owned 5 BMW's over the last 30 years, 2 were good cars 3 were not, the current 2008 X3 is the worst of the lot. body water leaks, engine oil leaks, sensor failures, water pump failure, ignition coil failures, transmission failure, you name it and I have had to have it fixed all before the car reached 91000 miles. I purched the car from BMW as a certified used car and had trouble with it from the beginning. The Dealer was of little help they just kept telling me the transmission was fine UNTIL the extended warrenty ran out, then it was " It failed and you need to replace it " at a cost of 8 grand. BMW is not the Ultimate Driving Machine, they are the Ultimate Maintenance Machine

let down
By jeff

2008 BMW X3 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I knew what we were getting into with the car when purchased back in 2012, with 58k miles on it. But I was assured that BMWs last forever.
Wasn't a full month and the car was in the shop. Spent hundreds on the vanos, which I later learned is German for "don't let your local non certified BMW mechanic work on your cat or you will spend hundreds of dollars repairs the vanos". Gas guzzling vehicle, but just never captured any value from the car. Just a big let down from day one.
Oh and a bright orange light in the car was annoying as was the fact I could never pair the Bluetooth despite 3 "know how to do it" guys trying.

Would Recommend 2008 BMW X3
By micbk90

2008 BMW X3 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this SUV a year ago and I'm extremely pleased. Needs just regular maintenance as far as oil changes, etc. No problems whatsoever. Drives great and I feel very safe in this vehicle, especially in snow. Very sturdy and I live in Pittsburgh so we get a fair amount of bad weather.

I've had 3 Audi's and a Volvo; this is my first BMW. I really do love the X3. I can't drive a big SUV. I'm 5'0" and this is the perfect size. Not too small, but not too big.

Note: I have the 3.0xi automatic, not the 6-speed manual but it did not provide that option.

Love love love the heated steering wheel. Also love the bluetooth and the programmable garage door opener. The X3 has great features and amenities. The leather heated seats are great and super comfortable.

Gas mileage is decent but could be improved.

Never again
By ohicks

2008 BMW X3 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

First and last BMW. Quality is not what you would expect from a high end vehicle. Problems started almost immediately, the warranty covered the repairs not the in convince of the wasted time. After warranty ran out.. 55k miles...replaced window regulator on passenger window, at 60k miles, replaced all 6 sparks plugs. at 65 k, replaced valve cover gasket. at 67K, replaced water pump. Now at 68k, all 4 engine mount bolts have sheared..vibration broke the water pump. Never again.. Disappointed in BMW's responses.

Sheared Motor Mount Bolts
By wrh47

2008 BMW X3 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

2008 BMW X3 with 59,000 miles sheared all 4 motor mount bolts in normal street driving.
BMW said “tough luck”.
A quick internet search indicated this was not an isolated incident, many other relatively low mileage BMW's have had sheared motor mount bolts.

I believe this problem to be a serious safety issue and filed a complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
I encourage others that have had similar problems to file NHTSA complaints at the following website:
safercar.gov
Click the “REPORT A VEHICLE OR CHILD SEAT DEFECT” Tab and submit your complaint.
If there are enough complaints, BMW will, hopefully, be forced to acknowledge this problem.