Used 2004 BMW X3 Consumer Reviews - 193 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X3 model:

Good but not great.
By poeschel1

2004 BMW X3 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

Purchased this car to replace a Tahoe for fuel economy. Gets great fuel economy, 2.5l is adequate but wish I had gone with the 3.0l. Excellent stability in poor driving conditions. Fit and finish is severely lacking. Ash tray lid won't stay closed. Paint chipping on roof rack. Often have issues with door locking system. Radio seems to delete all preset stations every couple days. I also have 330i and experience none of these issues. BMW really missed the mark with this car. Feels like a Kia.

Fuel economy, stability and handling and overall design.

Make it feel more like a BMW. Cheep and low budget interior isn't what I have come to expect from BMW.

Fun to drive - but some problems
By Ben

2004 BMW X3 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

I own the X3 2.5 for 4 years now. Fun to drive and a smart looking crossover. However Airbag mat (now a official recall) broke 5 times, windows seals have been replaced 3 times and car still CREAKS on every turn and pothole. Steering rack start creaking, too, and was completely replaced. I do find those problems not acceptable for BMW and will stay away until the get their quality back. BMW paid for their mistakes: I have bought their extended warranty for about 3000 extra to extend to 100k/6 years and they will fix no matter what without question ask. Do not get the car without warranty or prepaid service - it´s a money pit !

Handling and look.

BMW need to improve the quality !

Airbags Failed to Deploy in Rollover
By Jen36

2004 BMW X3 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Although very happy with my BMW Certified Used X3 the first year I have had it, when the time came for this vehicle to come through with safety features, it failed me. I just had an accident with my 2004 X3 yesterday in which there was a side impact followed by the vehicle rolling over to the left on the driver's side 3 times. None of my airbags ever deployed in the rollover. My head impacted the vehicle frame 3 times, when in fact in a rollover, my drivers side airbags should have deployed. I just had BMW replace my airbags 9 months ago due to a faulty indication light. The dealership is showing no interest in my complaint.

Smooth ride, a truly pleasurable driving experience....until the airbags failed to deploy.

BMW never notified me of the 2004-2006 X3 recall due to faulty airbags that was released 3 weeks ago. I am extremely disappointed in a vehicle that was a great drive whose safety features failed me when I needed them the most. BMW & dealership need to take responsibility for their failure.

BMW X3 overview
By Ed Rohnk

2004 BMW X3 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

It is very responsive to the movement of the controls. Acceleration is good. Holds the road well. It is a surpringly nimble car for its size. The breaking is excellent. The interior is spacious. Dash board and instrument readouts are easy to see. I like the orange lighting at night. The exterior sun roof design is beautiful. I enjoy just looking at it.

The double sun roof is fun. I also like the one button feature to lock/unlock all doors. I like the heated seats.

Better gas mileage without sacrificing power.

Got rid of it!
By Lisa

2004 BMW X3 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

I think I was just so excited to be able to say that I OWNED a "BMW" that I got too caught up in the name. I was so disappointed to find out that only weeks after I purchased the vehicle, it started rattling like a cage! It felt like it was falling apart. I expected alot more from a "BMW." I traded that sucker and am now the owner of a Lexus and I couldnt be happier!

Make it more solid and less cheap plastic.