Used 2004 BMW X3 Consumer Reviews - 193 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 BMW X3

View reviews for a specific X3 model:

Not good quality for this model
By horacio

2004 BMW X3 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

Needs a lot of maintenance, on brakes, tires are expensive, the moon roof does not work. It will cost like 2500 to fix, the first gear jumps really bad I scare to drive it now, and the ac compressor went out! Not a smart buy I have 99,500 miles on it.

The looks, style, fun to drive with low miles only!

Better quality!

Upholstery Seats
By RDLUI

2004 BMW X3 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

Bought this vehicle for my wife when it first came out in 2004. Drives well and is very responsive... just like most BMW's... Have had a good experience overall and not much to complain about. However, the upholstery (not leather but vinyl fabric?) on the front driver's seat started cracking during the 3rd year of ownership and the fabric was replaced under warranty during the 4th and final year of warranty. My complaint is that barely a year later, the same cracking is appearing on the same seat. My wife weighs about 105 lbs and there's only 52,000kms (30,000 miles) on the car!

Driveability and responsive feel for a SUV.

Use fabric for the seats that actually lasts for more than a year or two.

Bimmer Family
By Bimmer Family

2004 BMW X3 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

My husband bought this car for me for X-mas. I have been driving it for a couple years now and we are very pleased. We have made several long trips in it, in sun, rain and snow and had no problems. We have the six speed manual and the only thing I don't like is that it's so slow in 1st gear, but once into 2nd, it's very zippy and handles great. Even though the gas mileage could be better, we average 22-23 mpg's which I think is great for a 4-wheel drive vehicle. The navigation system is great! It always projects correct travel times.

The huge sunroof, the automatic roll down of windows from the remote.

Not what I was expecting from an SUV!
By Tavana

2004 BMW X3 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I was a bit unsure if I should ever own an SUV, but after driving the X3 I was convinced that you can own an SUV and still feel like driving a sports car. I was impressed by the quickness and sportiness of the X3. Road handling feels like driving a 3 series with a kick! I highly recommend this car for those who want to have the fun of driving a BMW and have some luggage to carry with them. Watch out for gas expense! Premium fuel only??!!

It's an SUV, but feels like a high performance sports car. Love driving it.

Hire a Japanese electrical engineer to fix BMW electrical issues. Moonroof rack not shutting completely, and some other silly electrical issues.

One of the Best
By Ob

2004 BMW X3 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is a wonderful vehicle. Had good experience with Highlander and Lexus RX300. X3 is different animal, performance and handling is awesome no comparison. I've put 60k miles on it with no issues at all. Drove X3 from Virginia to Jersey in heavy rain and absolutely loved the handling and performance. Drove Highlander and Lexus in heavy rain from DC to Jersey. X3 made highlander and Lexus look like a puppy. I'll keep X3 till it dies. I put my life on my cars and get my car maintained by authorized dealerships.Its maintenance cost over all per annum is almost same as Highlander and Lexus. In fact I ended up paying more for the Highlander and Lexus cause I put more miles.

Performance and Handling plus acceleration of 3.0