Used 2003 BMW M3 Consumer Reviews - 84 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific M3 model:

3 years later
By Don

2003 BMW M3 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

As of July '06 I've owned my M3 for three years and it's my daily driver. It is a fantastic experience. It takes a while to learn the SMG but it,s worth it; once you've got it down you'll never regret it. Buttery smooth shifts or burnouts from hell. The ride is pure performance. You feel like your hands are running over the surface of the road. With that kind of input you know exactly what to expect from the car. My M3 has been everything I hoped it would be. I've had any number of total strangers come up to me and tell me how much they like my car. I have no idea what BMW is going to do for an encore but I will be ready, willing and waiting.

Ride, acceleration, handling, brakes, SMG, looks, comfort, the whole car!

Keep the formula on the next version. I have no idea how it can get better but I'm willing to find out.

Luvin Every Minute Of It
By PaulWall

2003 BMW M3 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

My first impression of this car was bad since within the first 2 weeks of ownership it had to be towed to the shop for not starting. The starter was replaced along with wiper blades and an oil change at no cost. Nice. It has been a dream ever since. It has incredible power for an inline 6 cyl and a suspension that compliments it once you get up to speed. The interior is well suited for a high performance car yet still remains very comfortable partly due to the lower seat extension a feature I really like. The only issue I've had with driving was getting use to the SMG transmission and now I'm madly in love with that setup. Great job on the entire design of this driveline.

Inline 6 cylinder motor that growls and eats V8s for snacks. The SMG transmission.

Problem with the seat belt. Nerve-racking at times. Increase the travel of the telescope steering by an inch. If you wanna whine.

BMW M3 - Hype from Reality
By gravis8000

2003 BMW M3 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I previously owned a 2000 M Roadster. Loved the car - a beast. Tight handling, throaty exhaust, a rocket launcher. My buddy owns a 2002 330Ci - refined car, snappy, loved the top. I thought the 2003 M3 w/SMG would marry the best of both. It does - in a way - but after owning it, I still find myself longing for the purity of the M Roadster. It's just as fast (01-02's would actually smoke the E46 M3), handles better, and it's way lighter. The M3 outputs 333HP but it weighs 3780lb. The SMG trans screams at high RPM/track driving, but it takes getting used to around town. For an awesome daily driver for the fam, save the $ and get the 330Ci & buy the M Roadster for the weekend.

SMG (for race/track driving only, though), Sport mode, HP, excellent handling for the weight, good DSC, power top, 19"s, hard top (improves chassis rigidity) overall appearance, love/hate relationship w/the the back seats for practicality/performance reasons.

The exhaust note stinks. C'mon, for 333HP and this kind of $, I want to be reassured of my purchase every time I step on the gas. The car could go on a 400 - 600lb diet, or beef up with more HP - new vettes and 911's will still smoke ya, along w/majorly modified tuners - the M3 is not invincible.

Overall Bliss
By Chris

2003 BMW M3 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

This car is a driver's dream. The complete package of comfort and performance. Outside of the door trim losing adhesiveness, the car has been worry and problem free. You can't help but get out and push the 333hp to the limits. The brakes, steering and DSC help make it as safe as it is fun to drive. There is not other car on the road, providing as much fun as the M3 for the money.

The 8200 rpm redline seems like the power keeps coming. The overall design, the most beautiful of any BMW. Sport mode, turn up the fun another notch.

Better adhesive to hold the door trim, this seems to be a prominent problem with the M.

BMW M3
By Paul

2003 BMW M3 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I was on the wait list for the Porsche 997 and decided to get the M3 instead. I would love to own both but do not regret my decision to get the M3. I have been in or owned and/or driven Audi S4, Ferrari 550, Porsche 911T, Corvette Z06. All are outstanding in their own way. Bottom line is that there is no comprable car for the money. Corvette Z06 is a fantastic performance machine but still in essence a 'Chevy.' The C6 may be different. The S4 (2001) was a great car and easier to modify for more horsepower but had severe understeer and turbo lag. I would rather have the 911 turbo or Ferrari but obviously both are in a different price class.

SMG, appearance, high speed stability, handling, 4 seats, usable trunk

Better speakers, can never have enough torque or horsepower