Used 1999 BMW M3 Consumer Reviews - 34 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 BMW M3

View reviews for a specific M3 model:

Still smiling two years later
By zupchuck

1999 BMW M3 2dr Coupe

I bought my '99 M3 coupe used with 22k miles in 2004. It has been very reliable. It's exceptionally fun to drive. I love taking it on long trips, it is that comfortable. Proper snow tires make this a competant winter car (with ASC of course). Braking is awesome and properly matched to a vehicle capable of traveling so fast, so easily. This car brings smiles to my face every time I drive it. The cockpit is the best I've experienced. It is not cheap to maintain, parts will cost you. Find a good BWM mechanic and avoid the dealerships. I hope I can keep this car for many years. If now has 43k miles two years later.

Handling, braking, acceleration, comfort, cockpit feel.

less pricey parts

Good Start
By BRB

1999 BMW M3 2dr Coupe

This was my dream car for a long time and I finally got one. It had 46,000 miles on it and seemed to be in great condition. For the first 5k miles I added coilovers which made the handling absolutely amazing. Engine is giving me some trouble now, even after always changing the oil and such mantience I get an annoying whine at 2900 rpm. I can't wait to get my next one and have the money to fix any little problem as it arises. Lots of little electric problems as well.

The sound with Dinan Exhaust and Intake at WOT

Strip the interior when it starts to fall off, make it a race car.

Everything I imagined
By JohnnyBoy

1999 BMW M3 2dr Coupe

Just bought my M3 used, private party in April. I've been looking in to getting an E36 M3 for a few years now but dcouldn't finad any in my area in good enough shape. Finally found one and boy am I pleased! Exterior styling is very strong! You know it means business just looking at it! Engine is free-revving and doesn't really start to make power until 3500rpm plus. Engine sound is oh so sweet!Mine has a few of the typical E36 problems(sway bar end link rattle, rear shock mount popping, few squeaks here and there) but aside from that is a dream! We'll have to see how it holds up over the next few years!

Engine, handling, transmission, exterior styling! I live in Pocatello, Idaho; not too many bimmers in these parts. Boy do I get the stares! Sweet car!

Nothing major, just typical problems as stated earlier. Spent about $100 to get rid of the rattles(did the work myself). Computer intermittently informs me of a bad brake light circuit, nothing is wrong, just error in computer. Annoying, but I can deal with it to own this car!

Critical Owner
By ggrimes

1999 BMW M3 2dr Coupe

Purchased from private party, very well cared for by last owner. Wanted a new model but cash strapped because last car totaled by idiot in truck. Rear wheel drive a must last car was front driver (supercharged pontiac) typical GM (poor quality and dealer service) 40K on M3 now and its been solid reliable and fun to drive. Installed 18" wheels, kumho tires, short shifter and aftermarket brake pads to eliminate brake dust.

Like driving a go-cart, great handling, awesome brakes and utterly predictable handling. Does everything well and it the most fun in the twisty roads you can have. I've had a couple of so call sports cars look very suprised when you pass them.

Little down on power, bottom end torque is limited (drive it like you stole it to get the most out of it) Typical german interior (plain) sound system just OK. The famous brake light circuit defect comes and goes, nobody has found a total answer too that problem.

1999 bmw M3
By Kyle K

1999 BMW M3 2dr Coupe

I bought this M3, My first, about 7 months ago. Its like a Go-cart. It handles as if on rails, and its a blast to drive in the canyons.

Handling, Looks.

Stereo could use improvement, Engine could be a little more horse power, but im working on that.