2020 BMW i8 Convertible Consumer Reviews

$163,300

Save as much as $12,692
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Very Underwhelming

Atlanta, 10/11/2020
2dr Convertible AWD (1.5L 3cyl Turbo gas/electric hybrid 6A)

Given that this vehicle has so much style, the technology that is available and the pleasure to drive it is very underwhelming. The i8 is a very comfortable riding vehicle (5-Stars), but beyond the ride and sleek style, the 5-Stars end there. There are none of the newest features like blind spot detection, etc. that are both needed (this care has a lot of blind spots) but would be expected. $20K Toyota's and Hyundai's have more driver assistance packages for 1/10th the cost. After trading a Porsche Carrera S for my i8 Roadster, it only took me about 30 minutes to figure out that I had made a big mistake. The Carrera is truly a pure pleasure to drive while the i8 is purely a disappointment. Acceleration is disappointing and on a few occasions when I hit a small bump in the road, the rear wheels seemed to lose traction and interrupted acceleration of the vehicle. BMW has discontinued this vehicle after 2020 and hopefully their engineers will come up with a replacement that is much more of a joy to drive. For me, fortunately I leased my i8 and have found a new owner for it. Now, back to my Carrera S for more enjoyable driving.