Used 2001 BMW 7 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews - 68 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 BMW 7 Series Sedan

View reviews for a specific 7 Series model:

Best car I have ever had
By Happy 749iL Owner

2001 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I had owned a 1998 740iL for 8 years and absolutely loved it. When it became apparent that it would not pass inspection this coming year due to rust I decided to look for a new car. After looking at many new cars, even visiting the Detroit Auto show I decided to buy a 2001 740iL. This car handles so well, it is an absolute dream to drive. It makes all other cars feel awful to drive after driving the 740. The power is amazing as well and gets better fuel millage than most cars its size and many smaller. Simply put it is an amazing buy for luxury power and great looks.

Heated steering wheel/seats, power, handling. A very conveniently placed oil filter. I can fit a 10ft board in the car without sticking it through the window via the ski package. Looks better than any car built in the last 15 years.

The cup holders front and back are useless. The rear seat foot rest get jammed under the front seats. Else it is a perfect car.

Best 13K I've ever spent
By Scott C

2001 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Bought an 01 740i w sports package 100K on the odometer. Put $2K into Trans fluid, Belts, Oil leak all other fluids, new plugs etc... I drive over 150 miles per day in it at 80mph and it still averages 24 mpg! Build quality is unmatched, engine is so quiet at idle I need to look at the tach to see if it's on! These cars are made to last (if you take care of them). Seats look unworn due to the incredible quality of the leather on an 8+ year old car. Oh, and buy the warranty, It'll save you!

Handling, acceleration, looks, build quality, the constant stares at it (even with it being 8 years old), At 30 or 90 mph the ride is the same and you feel you have the same control.

There really are none.

Sweet ride that costs to drive
By Greg

2001 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Bought this car used with 32000 miles on it in 2004. I now have 69000 miles on it. Fast for a large car and stylish. Lots of interior space!! Had to replace the radiator 3 times. Replaced the ABS module - $$$$$.

Smooth ride, style of the car, not bubbly like the newer models, sound system. Large trunk.

Improve the radiator tank, trim that doesn't fall off- front grille, door trim.

Simply Amazing
By PartsForImports

2001 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

This is the first BMW I've ever bought. Before I had all Japanese sports cars that were very nice. When I was shopping around for the 740, I knew that these cars are expensive and known to have issues. Bought mine w/ 100k miles from original owner with all service records. After 2k miles, the alternator failed. Paid $400 for a rebuild one directly from Bosch and fixed it myself. It is true that this car is expensive to maintain but if you work on it yourself (thanks to e38.org writeups), you will save a lot of money. The bottom line is that this car is simply amazing and worth every penny that you spend on it. The feeling you get while driving in this spaceship is unexplainable.

Now I understand why they call it the ultimate driving machine! Fast, comfortable, beautiful, full of soul and character! Timeless look, interior designed with the driver in mind, high quality leather, dash, etc. (not like American cars, when you knock on dash you hear a hollow, plastic sound).

Front cup holders are useless, instrument cluster pixels burn out.

The Ultimate Driving Machine
By S. Busby

2001 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740iL Protection 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

This is an awesome ride. Its quick and responsive and fun to drive. The stereo system is great to me, I feel like I'm in concert. It has an amphitheater feel. I'm glad it has the hidden cassette player because I still have some classics on cassette. I had to get used to the cd player being in the trunk.The navi system is well 01 so it won't be like the newer cars, but it works unless you go way out then it will just slap a map on the screen for you with no vocal instruction...good luck! All in all my dream car is just that a joy and a dream to drive. Yes BMW can mean Bring Money With you but if you get a trained mechanic you will do fine.

The ride, the stereo and the comfortable seats, and I really enjoy my sunroof at night or early in the morning.It's just a nice ride in spite of the repairs. We've had the car for 2 years and have replaced the front and rear brakes, oil service, water pump,the battery and the rear window w/warranty

You have to remember this car is older and they have addressed their flubs ie the cup holders in front and rear, and I don't know whats up with the glove compartment but sometimes it's difficult to open.The grill trim feels a little loose and the rubber molding around the windshield is cracking.