Used 2001 BMW 7 Series Consumer Reviews - 68 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 BMW 7 Series

View reviews for a specific 7 Series model:

This Used to be my Dream Car, became a nightmare..
By rhs408

2001 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I see a lot of great reviews about this car, and not surprisingly, most of them were written within 5 years or so of the car being born - the others must just be those really lucky ones (laugh). I bought this car in 2008 with 120k miles on it, it now has 210k. In that time, I've spent roughly $15000 on the various repairs and upkeep of the car. I'm not a wealthy man, and in short, this car has ruined me financially. I'm going to be selling it soon for a Camry or Avalon - I just want something reliable, first and foremost, after having the unfortunate experience of dealing with the expensive repairs needed to keep this beautiful car running.

Update - I consider myself lucky as I did not end up needing to sell the car (which I think I would have had a hard time doing given the 210+k miles on it), someone rear ended me in a hit and run and totaled the 740. At that point the repairs would have been about $6000, about $500 more than what they deemed the car was worth at that point. Used the insurance money towards at 2008 Acura TL, has been great so far, only repairs that have been needed are changing out brakes and changing transmission oil.

Absolutely Fabulous!
By thecarguy112

2001 BMW 7 Series 740i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Just bought a used one with 110,000K on it a week ago, and LOVE it. The power is surprising for 282HP, but 325LB FT of torque is sweet. I don't have the contour seats, but the basic seats are great. This car handles great for its size. I have a rare Slate Green 740i with Oyster Nappa leather, and english green dashboard and carpet. It truly is a joy to own. There are a couple little problems but cheap to fix. GREAT car.

Style, Comfort, Ride Quality is superb, Almost no road noise, Heated front and rear seats, Dual fan controls for front passengers.

Basically nothing.

Best bargin on the road!!
By edh8

2001 BMW 7 Series 740i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

This is one amazing car!! for what you can pick up a nice clean 01 740i for today everyone should try it out.
The motor is bulletproof the trans is the weak link, however rebuilt it and the car will run to 200-300k easily.
Getting there might not be cheap, radiators, water pumps, expansion tank, suspension parts will break down and random sensors and gaskets will leak.

Despite all that this car is tight as a Drum at 125k miles, handling is amazing for a car this size. I installed some 18 M- Parallel staggered wheels.
The power delivery is fast and linear, only 282hp but feels faster than my friends 550i. Car is a beast, a tank call it what you will, no body roll on highway!! Buy one

Power, handling, comfort, seats, awesome stereo, still looks like a Boss rolling on M-Paralles! Where else can you get all this refinement and driving pleasure for $6k, I had Audis, Lexus(GS and LS400) Cobras, corvettes, Z28s. This car is a 4 door Cobra, my 01 had 320hp but this car with 282hp feels faster and handles just as good with way more comfort and room for 5! only if it has a manual trans it would be perfect!!! everyone cries about parts $$, don't take it to a dealer. There are many vendors on line that sell parts that are no more expensive than a part for a Camry. Find a good indy mechanic and you can enjoy this car for a long time for little money. Easy to work for DIYers!

Manual trans! easier HVAC controls

THE BEST CAR ON THE ROAD
By nycgal2

2001 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

About 6 years ago my husband bought me the 2001 740i.
I have put over 75,000 mile on it in 6 years and when I reached 210,000 miles I decided to give it to my son and go buy a "new" car.
Not because I needed to as my "baby" still looks and handles and runs like a brand new car but I do alot of driving and thought a newer car would be more reliable on long trips. Well I looked at all the newer model Bimmers, test drove them, kicked the tires, walked around the outside, sat in the back seat....and guess what? Forget the new car. I bought a 2001 BMW 740iL with 85,000 miles on it!
I loved the 740i...I adore the 740iL!

It is luxury to the max. It is roomy, quiet, it has GUTS, it handles like a dream, my favorite part is the way she takes a curve!! I will never buy a new car...I am going to baby this one so I can keep it forever. My only complaint is the flimsy cup holders! Otherwise this car is peerless! You get what you pay for and this car is worth every penny. New this car cost 65,000 and 12 years later it's still worth 10,000 and it still looks brand new inside and out. That speaks volumes about it's quality and workmanship

750iL WOW
By idcraig

2001 BMW 7 Series 750iL Protection 4dr Sedan (5.4L 12cyl 5A)

There is not a finner car on the planet I have owned MB S series (close) BMW 740iL very nice Volvos, Cadillacs, Infinitys and the list goes on my 2001 750iL has it all Fun, comfort, power (WOW) I live in the snow belt and I drive my 750 all year without snow tires. You cant own a better car I swear.

all