Used 2000 BMW 7 Series 740iL Consumer Reviews - 26 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 7 Series model:

The Ultimate Driving Machine
By Alex

2000 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

I've now owned this car for a little over a year and a half. Being that I needed a highway cruiser, this car was an excellent choice. Before buying these cars, find out if some of the common problems on your model have been addressed. Namely, the radiator and fan need to be replaced at around 60k-70k miles. The waterpump and thermostat need to be replaced at that time as well and as others have mentioned, the front suspension parts don't last too long. Don't forget though, this car weighs over 4,000 lbs! Driving this car will wear down the front suspension quickly. Expect to replace it every 50k miles or so. Also, the cupholder is flimsy, therefore I bought a wedge-type holder and it's great.

The engine, excellent transmission, quick response on the gas pedal, auxilary ventilation, comfortable and quite. This car is so quiet on the highway, it's scary!

I wish BMW would have created a double sun-visor one that allows the driver to cover both in front of him and on the side. Also, a quality cupholder would've been a plus and a better navigation system would be nice as well.

My ultimate driving machine
By Stan

2000 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car about a year ago and have really enjoyed every mile. I did have to replace the alternator, but other than that have had no major problems. The previous owner had problems mostly minor around 100,000. Everything is lovely now and now I just enjoy the ride.

Performance, ride, backseat room, eye catching, sunshades, leather, heated steering wheel and seats, trunkroom .

Fun car to drive but it is no Lexus
By jh

2000 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

The BMW 740 is with out a doubt the best driving large sedan on the market. However, it suffers from serious flaws that one would not expect from a car that costs in excess ot $65,000. The on board computer dispay failed (the dealer said pixel burnout was common at about 3 years). I have a broken the cupholder and numerous climate control knobs fail. One door panel has had problems staying on as does the side panel. It seems to cost me 2-4 thousand dollars every time I see my dealer. I have probably had $5000 worth of suspension work done over the last 18 months. My previous car was a Mercedes S420 at about the same age had very few problems. Quite frankly the BMW has been a terrible car.

General road manners and a terrific sounding stereo.

General build quality is poor. Poorly designed cupholders. Electronics are fragile and buttons and kobs just seem to quit working. Replacement parts are unbelievably expensive. Some people might not like the 13-14 mpg they will get in my normal day to day driving.

road trip heaven
By driverdriver

2000 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

Bought this car knowing I'd be making many trips from Jax to Tampa. 40,000 miles later, I still am in love. Yes it hurts to pay $53 to fill up right now, but two near miss situations (I avoided stupid drivers) are worth every single penny. I cannot imagine driving anything else.

Power. Agility. Safety. Beautiful lines- art on wheels. Anthracite Gray paint is very sophisticated, subtle changes in color depending on the light of the day. Backseat passengers ALWAYS rave about the room and ride.

CUPHOLDERS. Slightly wider door panel to rest arm while driving.

Not reliable at all
By Jenny

2000 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

The car is fun to drive, but at $73,000, I wouldn’t expect this many problems. The front suspension has been replaced, twice, the trannie was replaced, the dash stopped working, the fan blades EXPLODED and cut the radiator lines and punctured the hood. The drivers seat has stopped working 3 times, the nav system display broke, the engine leaks oil, and the car has less than 50,000 miles on it. Not worth the price paid at any cost.

fast and quiet

Fix: trannie, the water pump, the fan blades, the seats, the faulty suspension, the leaky engine, the dash, the nav system, the stuck sunroof, the galled privacy screens, the plastic parts on the radiator, the "clunking" sound I hear from the back of the car when I go over speed bumps.