Used 2000 BMW 7 Series 740i Sedan Consumer Reviews - 20 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2000 BMW 7 Series Sedan

View reviews for a specific 7 Series model:

Say Hello to Deferred Maintenance!
By Bobby M

2000 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740i 4dr Sedan

Bought the car almost three years ago. My first Bimmer will likely be my last. As much as I love driving the car, it is waaaaay too costly to fix. The plastic (!!) tank on the radiator split 5 days after I purchased the car. I've had to replace the water pump, thermostat, and power steering pump. Right now I could drop $8k on the car just to fix the many problems that I live with, including: - ABS computer dead (no traction control), - Thrust bearings in front suspension, - Tranny needs to be replaced (but car still drives, - engine failsafe program kicks in about once a month). Now my car won't pass a smog check because the check engine light STAYS ON.

When the car acts right, I love the power and smoothness of the ride. LA to Vegas in exactly 3 hours, cruising easy all the way. What a great drive! Car takes twisty mountain roads with ease, I've never felt like I'm at the limit.

Ultimate Texas Driving Machine Update #2

2000 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740i 4dr Sedan

Rolled over 100,000 7/09. Just put new front brake pads/rotors ($650) & rear pads ($253), air mass meter ($1000), PCV valve ($500) & drive belts ($211). Car still runs well and drives great. There has been one other front end issue described as "rubber mounting" for $566. Gas mileage is about 24 hwy, 14 city. 16,000 mi between oil changes. Valve cover gaskets leaking on each side and hoses need replacing ($1000) and it has a leak at the timing chain cover ($$$). Replaced Kumhos after 30k mi with Micheline Pilot Sport+ ($$). Overall, however, a good experience. At this age, car will not depreciate very fast. There is a noise, however in the front end, that has gone undiagnosed by 3 dealers.

The style, ride and handling.

Cup holders are a joke.

Ultimate Texas Driving Machine update 2

2000 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740i 4dr Sedan

I still have the car at 97,000 miles. Replaced air mass meter, PCV valve and head gaskets at 93k mi ($$$). Replaced Kumho Ecsta tires at exactly 30k mi with Michelin Pilot Sport+ ($$).

The power and handling. Sport/comfort seats may have to be transplanted to the next car! Still a pretty good style.

Front cup holders are a joke.

Update #2 Ultimate Texas Driving Machine

2000 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740i 4dr Sedan

Car now has 95k miles. At 85k mi nav unit in trunk failed; replaced with used unit/upgrade ($250). At 93k car developed minor leak - valve cover gasket. Put new Mich Pilot Sport + after 30K on the Kumhos. At 94k air mass meter failed along with PCV valve; fixed valve cover gasket at same time totaling $1400. Car averages 15k mi between oil changes, though I will start doing it substantially more often now. Still the most fun car I've ever owned and can't get excited about anything else out there. Overall, I have not had that much trouble with the car. I don't see much in the way of keeping it another 25-30k miles; after that, we'll see.

The power, the ride, the handling. Comfort sport seats are better than any other car I've driven. 23 mpg highway; 15 city

Nav system totally outdated now and too expensive to maintain or upgrade. This car has the sport package, so tire wear is a downer. New Michelins are supposed to be good for 50k; we'll see.

Ryan's 2000 740i
By Rolands Ride

2000 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740i 4dr Sedan

So I bought my 740i back in March of this year. this is my 2nd BMW and I am going to say I am very impressed with the vehicle. Has a beast of a engine, for a 2 ton car it will beat the crap out of a stock Camaro SS. The outside design is classic BMW which is why I bought this car instead of one of the newer 7 Series cars. The interior all be it a bit bland is very comfortable and ergonomic. No scientist needed to figure out the Nav or how to run the A/C. Car gets moderate mileage per gallon, about 18 around town and 24 on the highway. Not bad for a v8 that is a hoss. As expected for a BMW off of warranty, you will not want to get repairs done at the dealership, find a good tech.

Outside looks, powerful V8, classy car, that runs like its on roids.

Interior needs some spicing up, repairs can be costly at the dealership so find a good parts store online and a good independent mechanic.