Used 2011 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews - 88 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Complete Disappointment - RFT Tires are nightmare
By Jason C.

2011 BMW 5 Series 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I purchased this Car in May, it is now October and I'm returning the car to the dealer and taking the loss on the taxes and extended warranty I paid for to trade it in for a different car. Almost $10,000 down the drain plus whatever amount that car has devalued from use.

First of all, let me just confirm the complaints about the tires I see from other reviewers. They are a total nightmare! I have the receipts for 14 tires that I have replaced in the last 5 months. I bought 4 brand new tires at almost $500 bucks each after my first two flats. 1 had a bubble and subsequently popped within 24 hours of having it installed. I had it replaced with a new tire using the road hazard warranty and within a week, the two front tires blew out again. At that point I was driving scared and being extremely careful not to hit any bumps. Ive owned 2 door coupes with 19" wheels and thin tires and never had this problem. I even tried getting tires with a bigger sidewall to see if the extra cushioning would help and it only made things worse. The Car started to have an issue with the transfer case. According to the dealership the car has to use the specific tire measurements that come with the car or the transfer case gets confused when doling out power to the wheels. So basically I had no choice but to keep replacing the crappy run flat tires that costs $500. Ludicrous, I am trading in the car because the money I will lose from purchasing the extended warranty , does not add up to the cost of constantly replacing these tires.

Other issues I had in my short time with the car are:

The windshield fluid stopped working and pump had to be replaced.
iDrive controller completely stopped working so the entire infotainment system was uncontrollable.
Driver seat kept causing a warning that it could not be calibrated.
Radio kept having a strange feedback noise at high volumes.

All of these problems are minor issues that could easily be fixed by the very attentive and pleasant BMW staff at the service center. They were great and very pleasurable to work with. However it takes a month just to get an appointment at any BMW dealer in the New York area and some dealerships don't offer loaners unless you purchased the car from them. When I went to the Service Center I was shocked, They had over a 500 Cars on the lot for repairs. Ive never seen anything like it. I previously had an infiniti and never had to wait for a service appointment or worry about getting a loaner. Not to mention the Inifiniti facilities are infinitely (no pun intended) better than anything I've seen from BMW.

To say that I'm disappointed is an understatement. Im trading the Car in and trying out an Audi A7 or a Benz CLS. Hoping that other German Car brands don't turn out to be all hype.

2011 535xi = Worst Car Owning Experience
By Mo

2011 BMW 5 Series 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I've always leased cars and thought I should finance for a change. I couldn't see anything wrong with that decision; figured BMW quality is top notch (German soccer), performance (autobahn), and good looking (even old German cars look sexy). In order to be safe I even ditched out 5k for extended warranty which didn't cover anything.

Couple months after my purchase my tires need to be replaced. Couple weeks after that I'm merging onto the freeway and my piston blows up and takes out two cylinders with it. Twenty grand after that my thermostat breaks and I have no heat in the middle of winter (thank god for electric heated seats). Couple snowstorms after that my battery needs to be replaced

Looks. I had all the packages on my set and I got endless compliments - more than I have received for any other car. But the fun stops as soon as the maintenance bills kick in. At that point the compliments just becomes taunts to your poor decision to purchase this vehicle.

Don't finance this car - lease it instead. There's nothing in this car that'll last, sooner or later you'll replace every part. Before you know it you'll be 20k over the cost of your purchase.

Good riddance
By yossarian7

2011 BMW 5 Series 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Electric throttle + turbos = you never know what you were going to get, or when you are going to get it. Merging onto a highway was a stressful event. Seats were uncomfortable. Not enough leg room (I'm 6'1"). Run-flat tires were junk - developed bubbles and made for harsh ride. Alloy wheels were so soft, and/or car was so heavy, that it was not possible to keep the wheels "round" or in balance. HVAC temperature control never worked right (it always blows hot air). Car handled like crap - the opposite of the ultimate driving machine. The car rolled so much during a turn - usually suddenly - that it was downright scary. Car was way too heavy. I was glad to trade it in.

Well-built. Solid. X drive worked great in snow. Decent gas mileage. Free dealer maintenance during warranty.

Needs: to shed weight; better throttle/turbo mapping; two-inches of additional front-seat leg room; drop run-flats; HVAC that works.

RIP 550xi
By bmwowner30

2011 BMW 5 Series 550i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

Nice car, albeit a bit overpriced, however there is something seriously wrong with this engine. After about 40,000 miles (still under warranty), POOF the engine blew up and caught fire. The problem started with a chassis stabilization malfunction error and the car went into limp mode where you cannot exceed 11mph. After a mile of driving, car engine started to smoke up. After shutting off engine, car engine eventually ignited. Prior yo the fire, I would receive random errors in the battery and noticed burning oil smell. Anyway, although I am a bmw lover, I'm not sure I see a new bmw in my future unless bmw 'makes it right' and incentivises me to buy another one.

Interior design and luxury features (heads up display, heated steering, etc)

An engine that doesn't try to kill me.

Poor Tires equipped for the 5 series
By jackz1

2011 BMW 5 Series 550i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

I'm a BMW fan and had several BMW cars bought or leased from BMW dealers before this 550I leased in Sept 2011 from Nick Alexander Imports in LA. No problem with BMW cars before this 550I which we had replaced 3 run flat tires within 7 months of lease with the same problem-internal cuts on tires. This is really unusual as I never had this tire issue with other BMW cars before. I filed a complaint with the dealer from which I leased the car but was told driver was responsible for tires.

Need to assess the tires to see if this kind of tires are fit for the 550I and should be equipped with this model.