Used 2011 BMW 5 Series 528i Sedan Consumer Reviews - 25 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Hesitation Problems driving me crazy!
By wonmarco

2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 8A)

I would think twice about purchasing this vehicle. I have had a big problem with surging and hesitation at low speeds. The dealer has insisted that it is normal with the adaptive transmission, but I can assure you it is not normal! (Google BMW F10 transmission problems and you will see the problem is widespread). The sad thing is that I really love the rest of the car, but after spending $50,000+, I don't think I should be dealing with this. It really takes the pleasure out of owning the car.

Everything except the low speed / stop and go driving.

Fix the persistant transmission problems.

2011 BMW 528
By windsurfing1

2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 8A)

My previous BMW ownership included a 1998 528 and a BMW 328 convertible, owning these cars have turned me into a BMW fan.
Then I bought this 2011 528 with reasonable amount of expectation, but it turned out to be a big disappointment.
I only have one complaint about the new BMW, and it is a substantial one.
The new 8 speed transmission has a almost turbo lag kinda delay followed by a surge of power when accelerating in low gears,
probably because it has a adaptive mode trying to learn your driving style, that drive by wire feature alone kills the overall driving experience of a bimmer.

I-Drive, quiet cabin, exterior and interior look

improve the acceleration hesitation and smoothness of the 8 speed transmission at lower speeds.

Still Happy with it after a month of driving
By michaeljdiesen

2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 8A)

I got my 2011 BMW528i about a month ago and wanted to drive it a while before commenting on it.
I purchased it as a replacement to my 1998 BMW528i that I had for 13 years!
Now for the review:
The interior is luxurious!
The iDrive is new for me but after a few weeks of getting used to it, I like it.
Why no touch screen though?
The stereo is nice but could be a little better.
The front seats seem cramped to me, maybe narrow the center console a bit?
The automatic transmission seems sluggish until you shift into sport mode.
The exterior is flawless.
I haven't noticed any problems with the run flat tires but have been warned by many people to expect it.

Leather seats, 8 speed transmission, map function, Xenon headlights, bluetooth functionality, retracting side mirrors, key fob,

No spare tire, stereo system, run flat tires, touch screen

First Five Series
By eip

2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 8A)

Recently moved up from an 06 330i.
Really like the ride and quiet of the new 528 but does not handle as well as 3 series.
Excellent highway car and still good in the curves but some of the sportiness is gone as a tradeoff for comfort.

Interiior ergonomics, mileage, ride and low noise level. Trunk is much roomier than 3 series.

Bring back a bit more of the handling of the 3; Transmission shifter and elect. parking brake took some time to feel comfortable.

Refined, Capable, & Liveable
By Charlie H

2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 8A)

I gave up on BMW when the first i drive and Bangle-but cars came out, but am glad to report the new 5 series has returned to the fold of the prior generation cars with graceful lines and intuitive logical controls. The i drive is easy to use now after a few minutes of familiarization, actually quite fun. Quality is good and fuel economy is remarkable, getting 24 in town and 30-plus highway with a light foot- near diesel/hybrid territory! The ride with the run flats is very good now, and the car has a level of quiet and refinement that's almost too good (a little sport exhaust maybe?) Performance with only 240HP is quick with the 8 speed, but I wasn't looking for a rocket. Very Pleased!!!

Refinement & luxury with the premium and convenience packages. Terrific combination of ride and handling. Amazing fuel economy for it's class- nothing even close. Stereo is great, it's easy to record CD's to the hard drive to build an online library. Serene environment with plenty of capability!

Make the bi-xenon headlights standard, the halogens are marginal. Storage spaces are small and the trunk is narrower than most, though quite deep.