Used 2011 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews - 81 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 BMW 5 Series

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Good riddance
By yossarian7

2011 BMW 5 Series 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Electric throttle + turbos = you never know what you were going to get, or when you are going to get it. Merging onto a highway was a stressful event. Seats were uncomfortable. Not enough leg room (I'm 6'1"). Run-flat tires were junk - developed bubbles and made for harsh ride. Alloy wheels were so soft, and/or car was so heavy, that it was not possible to keep the wheels "round" or in balance. HVAC temperature control never worked right (it always blows hot air). Car handled like crap - the opposite of the ultimate driving machine. The car rolled so much during a turn - usually suddenly - that it was downright scary. Car was way too heavy. I was glad to trade it in.

Well-built. Solid. X drive worked great in snow. Decent gas mileage. Free dealer maintenance during warranty.

Needs: to shed weight; better throttle/turbo mapping; two-inches of additional front-seat leg room; drop run-flats; HVAC that works.

RIP 550xi
By bmwowner30

2011 BMW 5 Series 550i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

Nice car, albeit a bit overpriced, however there is something seriously wrong with this engine. After about 40,000 miles (still under warranty), POOF the engine blew up and caught fire. The problem started with a chassis stabilization malfunction error and the car went into limp mode where you cannot exceed 11mph. After a mile of driving, car engine started to smoke up. After shutting off engine, car engine eventually ignited. Prior yo the fire, I would receive random errors in the battery and noticed burning oil smell. Anyway, although I am a bmw lover, I'm not sure I see a new bmw in my future unless bmw 'makes it right' and incentivises me to buy another one.

Interior design and luxury features (heads up display, heated steering, etc)

An engine that doesn't try to kill me.

Poor Tires equipped for the 5 series
By jackz1

2011 BMW 5 Series 550i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

I'm a BMW fan and had several BMW cars bought or leased from BMW dealers before this 550I leased in Sept 2011 from Nick Alexander Imports in LA. No problem with BMW cars before this 550I which we had replaced 3 run flat tires within 7 months of lease with the same problem-internal cuts on tires. This is really unusual as I never had this tire issue with other BMW cars before. I filed a complaint with the dealer from which I leased the car but was told driver was responsible for tires.

Need to assess the tires to see if this kind of tires are fit for the 550I and should be equipped with this model.

I've driven the compettors and I'm happy I bought the BMW
By rdpalmercu

2011 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 8A)

I like the car. My parents have been mercedes fans since I was 16. Two s classes at one point for awhile. But I drive my father cls 550 and it is no more fun to drive and have a young family (2 & 4) than either the s- class which has the in headrest dvd players... okay, those are worth it they're nice. I have never been in position to afford such a car but I tested them all, the a6 came closest. It cost me roughly 35 with a 100k warranty, 24k miles on it when I bought it, premium package 2. Better acoustacics than the mercedes s class. Considering a new accord v-6 or maxima cost more I think it was a wise choice for an inevitabley poor investment.

Not a BMW anymore
By bummer5

2011 BMW 5 Series 550i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

I have an '02 530i, love it.
Purchased a 550ix because I love BMW....used to love BMW.
This car drives like a Buick.
Even sport mode floats on the road.
The seats are awful and the engine sounds like a 4 cylinder Honda.
I can't believe BMW would even put this out!
I finally gave the car to my wife and went back to my '02 530i.
Now that BMW is no longer "BMW", what do I buy?!
So disappointed!
Shame on you BMW!

Interior and looks

Build a car that handles like a BMW.