Used 2010 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews - 45 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2010 BMW 5 Series

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

oh the problems i've seen
By bfedwards

2010 BMW 5 Series 535i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

The direct fuel injectors have introduced a new and not insignificant problem to the engine. Coke formation is extensive. Those engine lights that start to light up anytime after say 50K miles are likely due to carbon buildup in the cylinders with the sensors going crazy as a result. Big engine lights , little engine lights, single and multiple cylinders dropping out at highway speeds, LTFT abnormalities, O2 sensor malfunction codes, cylinder misfiring codes, and on, and on.
You can spend many an hour chatting with your local mechanic getting to know all about his kids and their little league activities before you get to the necessary therapy: walnut shell cylinder coke blasting! ($800!)

What a beast when functional. But I don't need it to sit in the drive way for me to listen to music and go "zoom...zoom " as a 5 year old in the driver's seat of mommy's car. I need it to transport me as well.....reliably...without fear of failure.....after replacing fuel pump x 1, tail light assembly x 2, O2 sensor x 1, manifold intake sensor x1, fuel injector x 3, coil pack x 1, plugs x 6, carbon blasting x 1; all between 60 and 95k miles. Do yourself a favor. When the lights start to go on, do the carbon blasting first. Then start to replace the parts!

Serious re-engineering for the direct fuel injection system needs to occur &/or BMW needs to include a free carbon blasting every 50k miles for the duration of the automobile's existence.

2010 BMW 550i M Sport SAT
By champaign777

2010 BMW 5 Series 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

I am a BMW fun and currently have 2 E39
Bought this 2010 BMW 550i M Sport SAT a nd sold after 6 months
Car had 33k miles and almost all options available.
Sold it after 6 month only due to jerky SAP transmission ,- dealer helped a lot with all small "normal" BMW issues
AKA
steering leaks , software bugs , suspension noises , engine noises , remote key issues , yata,
yata , ,same story all time BMW
Well this all not a new for me but the last one with SAT which JERKS ALL TIME ON LOW SPEED
was a killer
Dealer said need to wait 2-3 months for a new patch from ZF and this is on the latest E60 model how nice a ??
Will never buy "auto" transmission
BMW , only manual

head up display

BMW your ZF transmission is a peace of crap Make your own transmissions like MB do !

My Last BMW
By nashvegasbmw

2010 BMW 5 Series 535i xDrive 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I am very sad to say, this is the last BMW I will ever own unless they change direction.
There has always been at least one BMW in my garage since I bought my first, a brand new 1974 2002tii.
This wagon is one of those cars that is a dream to drive and a nightmare to own.
The turbocharged engine and the automatic transmission wonderful to drive - a THRILL even.
It is capable of eating up huge stretches of road and dropping drivers and and passengers at their destination refreshed and invigorated.
The desire recently exhibited by BMW to cram as much computerized silliness into their cars as they can imagine is unnecessary and infuriating.

Above all, this is a drivers car. This engine (3.0 turbo) is a dream. While getting exceptional fuel mileage, it can deliver stunning performance - it can actually embarrass some serious performance cars. The transmission (particularly in Sport mode) is ALWAYS in the right gear. Every time I think about getting rid of this car, I drive it and change my mind. Interior is understated elegance. Exterior appearance is pleasant if unexceptional. The all wheel drive system is flawless, always there when it's needed, and never restrictive - only noticeable in the tightest of u-turns on paved surfaces. A wagon actually worth its high acquisition cost.

As a regular buyer throughout BMW's evolution, I watched the marques evolution with a wary eye but remained loyal. This over-computerized, badly styled, and completely unreliable variant is my last - unless BMW changes direction. Best engines and transmissions of ANY make of car. I-Drive (refer to as I-Crash) is the least intuitive device ever designed. Failure after failure of electronic systems will guarantee a trade before the warranty expires. Car has been towed to dealer 9 times. Neither my wife nor I trust this car anymore, and it has less than 30,000 miles on it. It's easier to run my business than it is to operate the ridiculous heater in this car. I quit.

2010 BMW 528i
By oakleyg

2010 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased this BMW 528i used with 37,000 miles
Replaced a 2008 Honda Accord. After 1 month, I can say I cold not be happier. My daily commute is 186 miles - I am avg 29 MPG - and have seen 30.2 MPG. at avg speeds of
70 MPH
it is not a X drive, for snow I purchased the THULE tire chains off amazon - used them three times. They are excellent - and very easy to install.

Comfort, heated seats, MPG, quietness compared to the Honda - I downloaded a free Decibel meter for my iPhone - the Honda was beyond annoyingly loud - 85 decibels - the 5 series is 65 decibels Trunk size good, full size spare, not run flat tires ( not a fan of these)

I use satellite radio, this car had the hookup but not the radio - was shocked to hear from the Dealer, that BMW does not have enough satellite radios for projected warranty use, so they jacked the price to $1,300 for the radio - ok, seriously - why nor one radio for the series ? The 2010 5 series has two types, and they do not have enough radios for the base 528i model - found one on eBay. Also, the voice command system - useless and annoying beyond comment.

First BMW, won't be my last
By basio

2010 BMW 5 Series 528i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I've owned this car for 9 months and have put on over 25,000 miles.
I absolutely love the feel and style of this car.
My daily commute is 58 miles one way, and before purchasing the 528, the drive was a chore.
Now I look forward to the peaceful trek to and from work in the quiet cabin.
I talk on the phone a lot in the car, and road noise is non-existent.

I purchased the car with 28,000 miles, so I have over 53,000 now.
I have had no reliability issues or equipment failure.
Regular service (free), and the car keeps making me happy.

Nav, iDrive, hands-free voice recognition, and yes, I like the cup holders. They are suspended on the dash in front of the passenger. I prefer this to the middle console type.

Nothing significant