Used 2008 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews - 204 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 BMW 5 Series

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Issues and bad design for very basic features
By msimps

2008 BMW 5 Series 528xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought a CPO 2008 528 xi a year and half ago and have had quite a few issues that I think I shouldn't have for a car that is 4 years old.
The driver side sport seat stopped working correctly. A couple months ago my battery died. $460 to replace that.
You cannot do it yourself.
It needs to be paired with the electrical devices in the car.
This week my AC went out.
Turns out there was a leak in the AC system and while my car was getting repaired they discovered a leak in my transmission.
The tires that don't go flat cannot be repaired.
Be prepared to buy a new tire and hope they have one in stock or you are out of commission until they get one.

The car is very fun to drive and corners amazingly. The acceleration is great and the brakes are really good. I feel very safe driving this car. It's extremely responsive. It is also a very nice looking car. Everyone comments on what a gorgeous car it is.

Reliability is a huge issue. A car this new that costs this much should not have these kinds of problems. The car has been over-engineered. Towing this car because of a dead battery required a special tow hook that needs to be screwed into the front bumper and you also need to locate a special tool that is kept in the trunk to use to disengage the transmission. This car allows notifies you when it needs service by a small message that is displayed briefly. Of course nothing needs service at the same time. The AC/heat controls are separate for the driver and passenger. There is no way to adjust both at the same time to be the same temp. iDrive is very confusing to very simple tasks.

Too Many Problems
By kblack1

2008 BMW 5 Series 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

Just to start, this is not my first car or my second.
I understand there are no guarantees in life and cars are finnicky.
Sometimes you just get a bad apple.
But for the $$$ a 550i costs those apples should be fixed properly and the owner satisfied.
I have owned quite a few vehicles in my now 17 years of driving.
2 of which were a 2003 325xi and a 2006 330i sport.
Both of which had no problems.
I purchased the 550i in 2010 with 33k miles.
It was a CPO, which gave me comfort purchasing a used car.
Not any more!!!
I seriously doubt this car was properly inspected.
Which is what I told BMW, and they passed the buck to the dealer who basically told me F off.
Consistent problems!

I have had the vehicle for a year and a half now. It spent 3 of the first 4 months I owned it in the dealer trying to fix the Idrive/Nav/climate system, and in total 5 of the first 16 months. climate control would go on , on its own. The Nav screen would blank out while driving. The radio wouldnt turn on. Other than that here is a list of other repairs: power steering pump, battery, wiper motor, climate vents wouldnt open, CD stuck in radio, transmission needed recalibration, water pump, brake issues, and the Idrive system still takes way too long to load at start. All that being said the performance and handling of the car are great. It is also a gorgeous vehicle with the M sport pac

I think maybe BMW should stick to what they do best and make good performance vehicles, and leave out all the bells and whistles until they are sure they work properly. I understand people want those options and they want to compete, but the negativity that what I have gone through brings is I'm not sure I would ever purchase another BMW, which is sad because they make cars that perform well and look good. I know I am one person and they sell millions of cars, but I doubt I am the only one with these issues. And as I said earlier this is my 3rd BMW and I planned on buying them for the rest of my life until this happened.

Excellent car!
By btr08

2008 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Bought a new 528i, and had it for 2 years and drove only 8K miles. The bad: the pressure pump light came on initially (a relatively common issue addressed by several other BMW reviewers). This was promptly fixed by the dealership without any charge. The good: everything else! One of the best, if not the best, car I've ever driven. Great handling!!! Definitely unique! Seats are awesome! Stereo very good! 21 mpg (85% city- 15% hwy). Extremely quiet cabin, etc. In summary, it gives you that rich person car drive felling. Then I traded it in, as I got a great deal on a Volvo XC60, which is also great. If BMW were overall more reliable, the competition would really suffer.

handling and seats.

cupholders.

CPO Bmw 535i 2008
By bilalch

2008 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I have had this car for about 1 year now. I bought this as a CPO it had about 30,000 miles on it. Considering all the comparative models (Audi, Merc)I found this to be the most fun car to drive. I also liked the interior better then others (yes even better then 08 A6) I think it is more of personal preference, the interior is clean, high quality and purposeful. Built quality is great, offcourse drives awesome. Not much to complain about this car. Prob would buy a 5 series after this one (although am not so sure of the new model, the Bmw seems to have gotten soft on their design and the new 2011 one is more like a Merc, cant say much about drive though as have not driven it)

sport seats. twin turbo engine ( the thing I noticed about different 300 HP cars from other auto makers is the way it is utilized (if that make any sense) An other way to describe it would be hmm the way the power is transmitted to the road, no body does it better then BMW. exterior styling

CUP HOLDERS (what in the world were you thinking in Germany) Better stock tires (mine are Goodyear's RS-A came with the car) these are the worst tires you can find on a sports sedan. Most BMW's come with continental's which believe me are much better. My Goodyear's are actually dangerous (not just bad but actually dangerous) on wet surfaces, provide decent traction on dry surface though.

Great When Everything Works - Over Designed
By timbo52

2008 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Exhilerating and fun when everything works! Love to drive my 2008 535i with Sport package- when it is not in the shop. Lots of power and totally responsive. Many problems which has been worked on under the factory warranty.1) entire head lamp module (less than 1 wk after delivery), 2)fuel pump, 3)fuel injectors, 4)car suddenly went into limp (lower power) mode when entering hwy- no solution yet from BMW(fortunately I was not in heavy traffic), 5)new gear shift handle, 6) iDrive goes crazy-dead
black screen. Hopefully, nothing else shows up. I love the way the car handles but the trips to the service department has become too aggravating! Selling before warranty ends!Bitter/sweet experience.

Very safe. Sport mode is awesome. No hesitation on demand for power. Smooth.... It loves the curves. Fun to drive! Nice and roomy. Feels like it was born to run... Fast. Be careful and use the audible speed alarm so you won't get tickets. But it also has a quiet elegance. Well behaved in a mature way. The BMW driveabiltiy will be the benchmark for my next car but I will put "RELIABILITY"high on my list.

A more intuitive navigation system. Upgrade time is very very slow. Even my low end TomTom is easier to use. Need complete redesign of the iDrive. Redesign the iDrive system to make it more user friendly. Too many buttons to push to get you where you want to go. Very distracting when compared to other car manufacturers. You need an a passenger to work the IDrive for the driver. Should have fold down rear seats. IMPROVE THE RELIABILITY!!!! No machine is perfect, but this car cost too much for such poor reliability issues. You buy the car to drive.... but not to drive it to the shop so frequently. Scale back on the over-engineering and complexity.