Used 2008 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews - 206 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 BMW 5 Series

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Overcomplicated & Unreliable
By samarthvader

2008 BMW 5 Series 535xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

My 2008 535xi has 50,000 miles on it. There always seems to be something going wrong with it every few months.
It has been one of the most unreliable cars I've ever owned, but when it is working it is a blast to drive. Even the simplest repairs are ridiculously expensive, and you are often forced to going to the dealer as most independent shops cannot work with the BMW computer system.

I don't know what they were thinking when they designed idrive. It takes an engineering degree to change radio stations through idrive. I guess over engineering is the BMW way.

This will probably be my 1st and last BMW...

Great combination of performance and efficiency.

Reliability.

Bullet proof reliability in my 535i Sport Package
By jackspotnspike

2008 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought mine used with 40000 miles and with 65000 miles now. I am very happy with the performance and reliability. Nothing has gone wrong with it. I recently put brakes on at an independent BMW shop for $1200, complete.

When I punch the accelerator the car is a rocket. It looks great (deep sea blue with natural brown leather seats and tints windows). The seven spoke alloys with the sport package are perfect.

High performance engine, decent fuel economy, no reliability issues.

Major Disappointment
By 535nomore

2008 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

This was my first BMW and I was really excited about buying it.
It worked fine for about 6 months and then the trouble started.
First it was the "reduced engine power" message related to the turbo system.
The result of multiple trips to the dealer consisted of: engine reprogramming, replacing the high pressure fuel pump, replacing injectors, replacing a fuel pressure sensor, and reconnecting a vacuum hose that the mechanic "forgot" to connect. The car has had three water pumps installed. I've also had the battery replaced two years after I bought the car (new), the auxiliary jack replaced (it only played through one channel when I got the car.
And a couple of other minor items.

It's comfortable. It's also quick and fast, when it runs properly.

BMW solved the problem by discontinuing the engine that can in the 2008 model and a couple of years before and after. Anyone considering this car, do yourself a favor and pass on it. The turbo/engine problem is fairly common. You can read about it on BMW owner's forums and boards.

Loved it
By alxislife

2008 BMW 5 Series 535xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Bought the car with 40k miles and sold it with 75k miles. The car didn't give me any problems whatsoever and ran perfectly. The only maintenance required was tires, brakes and rotors. No problems with the fuel pump at all. Loved the exterior design and the interior as well. To me the car was the perfect size not to big and not to small. Would definitely recommend! I miss the car but got a great deal on an Infiniti and I needed a change.

Handling, breaking, acceleration. Car feels solid and safe. Fuel economy was very good averaged 19 mpg mostly city driving and I have a heavy foot.

Lots of rattles and interior plastics started to peel and I took very good care of the car.

Buy It!
By pcman

2008 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I've driven this car daily for 3 years and i still look for excuses to go drive it some more. Simply a blast. After testing all the other makes and models of Audi, Acura, Infinity, etc I still say this there's no comparison to how much better this car drives. The fuel pump issue people discuss is silly. BMW continues to cover this even out of warranty. My dealer replaced mine without me mentioning it when I was in for an oil change. I've had zero trouble with this car (knock on wood) and I drive it really hard.

powerful engine, comfortable seats, Logic 7 Audio

IDrive system is relatively cumbersome to use.