Used 2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews - 188 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Loved it
By alxislife

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Bought the car with 40k miles and sold it with 75k miles. The car didn't give me any problems whatsoever and ran perfectly. The only maintenance required was tires, brakes and rotors. No problems with the fuel pump at all. Loved the exterior design and the interior as well. To me the car was the perfect size not to big and not to small. Would definitely recommend! I miss the car but got a great deal on an Infiniti and I needed a change.

Handling, breaking, acceleration. Car feels solid and safe. Fuel economy was very good averaged 19 mpg mostly city driving and I have a heavy foot.

Lots of rattles and interior plastics started to peel and I took very good care of the car.

Buy It!
By pcman

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I've driven this car daily for 3 years and i still look for excuses to go drive it some more. Simply a blast. After testing all the other makes and models of Audi, Acura, Infinity, etc I still say this there's no comparison to how much better this car drives. The fuel pump issue people discuss is silly. BMW continues to cover this even out of warranty. My dealer replaced mine without me mentioning it when I was in for an oil change. I've had zero trouble with this car (knock on wood) and I drive it really hard.

powerful engine, comfortable seats, Logic 7 Audio

IDrive system is relatively cumbersome to use.

Trouble Free-Call it the Intimidator!
By jcollum68

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

First of all, got this car in 2011 with 30K miles, stickered new for $69,500.
It has $75K on it and is 100% trouble free.
I have the sport backage in Carbon Black with tinted windows. What can I say, this car is beautiful yet intimidating.
Blazing fast with amazing handling.
Steering and brakes are A plus and the engine noise is a symphony.
Those who look at numbers say a 535i is almost the same-no its not.
Get a V8, a rare commodity nowadays.
Plenty of room in the interior, high quality materials.
I have driven many luxury cars, love teh E60 550i more than any and much more than the new F10 5 series--too big and bland.
I want my cars with style, love it or hate it.
Buy this car!

Engine, accleration, handling, steering feel, 20 way seats, 19 inch wheels are gorgeous, quality leather and interior materials. Intimidating look-don't kid yourself, this car (the way mine is configured) is meant for a man. Logiic 7 stereo has nice sound, large trunk, I actually like idrive (not many seem to). This is really a 4 door sports car. Don't let the 4 doors fool you, this is a serious machine and if you are off public roads and can see it capabilities it will blow your socks off.

Almost no console storage space or interior storage space, crappy cupholders. I know what I was getting buying a V8, but...I get 19.5 miles per gallon with about 80% highway driving. Fuel tank is way to small, this things has no range (get used to stopping for gas). Give me a bigger tank, better gas mileage (or both). The tradeoff for amazing handling is a (lets say) "controlled" ride. You will know the street surface-wouldn't mind a bit less firm ride. Be prepared for expensive maintenance costs. I had an E90 3 series, this car is in another world with routine maintenance costs. Why does an basis air filter cost $26 at the auto parts store when a Ford is $13? It is the same thing?

Fun car
By turnlund

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

We have 140K miles on this car; only recurring issue has been the high pressure fuel pump.
BMW replaced it twice, no charge and no questions.
Very impressive car, we have at least 60K miles left in it.

Engine, sport suspension, seats

Issues and bad design for very basic features
By msimps

2008 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528xi 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought a CPO 2008 528 xi a year and half ago and have had quite a few issues that I think I shouldn't have for a car that is 4 years old.
The driver side sport seat stopped working correctly. A couple months ago my battery died. $460 to replace that.
You cannot do it yourself.
It needs to be paired with the electrical devices in the car.
This week my AC went out.
Turns out there was a leak in the AC system and while my car was getting repaired they discovered a leak in my transmission.
The tires that don't go flat cannot be repaired.
Be prepared to buy a new tire and hope they have one in stock or you are out of commission until they get one.

The car is very fun to drive and corners amazingly. The acceleration is great and the brakes are really good. I feel very safe driving this car. It's extremely responsive. It is also a very nice looking car. Everyone comments on what a gorgeous car it is.

Reliability is a huge issue. A car this new that costs this much should not have these kinds of problems. The car has been over-engineered. Towing this car because of a dead battery required a special tow hook that needs to be screwed into the front bumper and you also need to locate a special tool that is kept in the trunk to use to disengage the transmission. This car allows notifies you when it needs service by a small message that is displayed briefly. Of course nothing needs service at the same time. The AC/heat controls are separate for the driver and passenger. There is no way to adjust both at the same time to be the same temp. iDrive is very confusing to very simple tasks.